Remembering my mother, bright, on her final day

Monday, December 30, 2013

On December 30, 2006, we lost Lore Kephart, my mother. We remember her vitality, her curiosity, her integrity, her ingenious mind, her long laughter, the things she made, baked, wrote. The brightest flowers in the world are not, in fact, bright enough to honor her, but we leave them near her stone—a semblance of her soul.

I found the photograph above at my father's house a week ago. We startled when we saw it. It's the evening of the Wills Eye Hospital grand opening, an event my father had helped make possible by leading the philanthropic effort. My mother looks just like a movie star. She is listening, truly listening, one of her greatest qualities.

We miss you, Mom.


5 comments:

Beth F said...

This post resonates with me this morning as Mr. BFR's once vital, strong mother lost her fight for life yesterday afternoon. My thoughts are with you as you remember your mom at her best.

Elizabeth Mosier said...

Thinking of you today, Beth. xoxo

Karrie Zylstra-Myton said...

That is a remarkable picture of her, Beth. I'll be thinking of you today.

Melissa Sarno said...

She's really beautiful. Sending lots of love, Beth. xo

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

"She is listening, truly listening, one of her greatest qualities."

And one of yours, too.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP