blurry on purpose: work on the new book begins

Friday, February 21, 2014

Yesterday afternoon, work on a book I've been nurturing in dream margins began. I wasn't sure I'd write again; I never am. I cannot say what three pages of blurry ink might add up to, a year from now. I don't know (I never do) precisely where I'm going.

But I know this: Take away the pressures of publishing, take away the late-night fears, take away the expectations we writers draw around ourselves, those fragile hopes—erase all that and there stands writing itself. The thing that I most like to do, in the afternoon, when the work is done, when it's just me and my horrid handwriting.

5 comments:

Katrina said...

Thank goodness for you and for those afternoon hours, for your handwriting, for your unwavering love for what you do even against the odds. I can't tell you how happy I was to read this post. I am wondering here, too, and fretting in the dark. But you shine a light on the path, my friend.

Becca said...

I am beginning something new too, and so once again you are there to give me courage and inspiration. I will think of you scribbling away as I work and feel bolstered :)

The1stdaughter said...

Take it all away and we have what we truly love. I just love that thought. I'm also happy to hear there may be more. Right now I'm slowly pouring over Handling the Truth, devouring every last bit of knowledge you share. It's incredible Beth. Thank you so much for being so generous and sharing so much. You're incredible!

Bidisha said...

Thank you for writing, Beth. And I hope you keep at it because what would the world be without writers?

These few pages will add up to something terrific. I know it. All the very best with it :)

Sarah Laurence said...

Good news for us readers!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP