the next books are the books I've wanted to read forever, and couldn't

Monday, July 21, 2014

I am focusing hard on the corporate work these days—doing the projects that arrive, finding the projects that don't even know they need me yet. Beth the Marketeer. Beth (yes, some of them call me this) the Machine.

We do what we must.

There'll be little time for my own literary work during these days, and so I look forward to easing my mind away from work pressures with books I bought or acquired long ago and never had the time to read. Books like Rachel Kushner's The Flamethrowers, Kevin Powers' The Yellow Birds, Ruth Ozeki's A Tale for the Time Being, Louis Greenstein's Mr. Boardwalk, Jayne Anne Phillips' Quiet Dell, Katherine Boo's Behind the Beautiful Forevers, Violet Kupersmith's The Frangipani Hotel, Jess Walter's Beautiful Ruins, Tea Obreht's The Tiger's Wife.

I owe these writers my time. I feel like less than me because it has taken so long. If it still takes me a terrible (not beautiful) forever to report back on these books, know that I am doing all I can.

So far, I can tell you this: 50 pages into Kushner and I'm in awe.


2 comments:

Serena said...

The Yellow Birds and The Frangipani Hotel are wonderful. I'm so glad that you will make time to read them and to have time to just read!

Unknown said...

So happy to see that I have read many of these. I also have just begun "For The Time Being" Can't wait to hear what you think. Dare I suggest one more? Why, yes I absolutely do dare!
If you have not already read it -"The Signature of All Things" by Elizabeth Gilbert.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP