Lumin Essence

Wednesday, November 28, 2007


I take my camera everywhere with me now, chasing light and glimmer. Most of the time, the shimmer escapes me; it's right there, I see it, it is gone at the sound of the shutter. I read. I go all manual with the functions. I try again. The thing eludes me.

That's writing, too. That's how it felt, early this morning, when I was dodging client calls, working in secret on a single sentence in a brand-new, and so tentative, novel.

All I wanted was to get the one sentence right.

1 comments:

grete said...

I also take my camera everywhere. What is this, a wish to - Remember? Recreate? Recollect? Not let anything get lost? What am I? Possessive?

The day I got hooked went something like this: my tummy/brain/hands/soul/heart/spirit called out a desperate cry: create! It was already late in the day. Christmas was just around the corner. I had probably spent the day with all those chores...

So. I took my camera for a walk. Thinking I’d capture the beauty of the winter - statues in the park, birds on the river. Whatever.

I met someone on my way. Some chatty friend. I cared for her stories. We stood there, on the pavement, while the sun proceeded its journey across the sky. Eventually the birds were no longer visible. The statues were hidden in the dark of the night.

So much for my creative urge. So much for my photography. But - somewhere deep into my tummy/brain/hands/soul/heart/spirit the urge was still there - create!

I continued my walk. Till I came upon a tree ignited by fairy lights. Right here I removed that black cap in front of the lens. Some small voice had whispered - use what you’ve got.....

I used what I had. A camera. Darkness. And some fairy lights. I started moving my camera about. Something like moving a brush around a canvas. The photos came out ... magic.

I continue taking my camera everywhere. Chasing, as you, the light, the glimmer. The single elements that encapsulate the story.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP