Writerly Process: Special Features

Thursday, January 1, 2009

An impromptu gathering at our home last night—two dear friends and our son coming in and out from a party of his own. Late into the night (rather, earlier today), the conversation turned not to books, but to writers and to writer talk.

It was suggested (by one) that the writerly process is too internal to be of any communicable interest. That what goes on inside a writer's head should stay right there, in a writer's head—the poem or the story or the book ideally speaking exclusively for itself. Process talk has inherent wings in the field of design (how did the green swan-footed couch come to sit beside the pink silk lampshade?) or in film (who doesn't luxuriate in the "Mad Men" special features? who doesn't want to know every last thing about that series' how?) or in the kitchen (which spice and how much and what is the chemistry of baking powder?), but not in writing, where the obsession is the writer's alone and the gist, the longing, the choice making, the fears, the megalomania do not make for relatable tales.

I didn't sleep the rest of the night, retracing the contours of this conversation in my head. I considered how long it takes to produce a story, even, that is worthy of another's glance—of all that time in between that is only choice making, only process. I thought of this blog, which is nothing if not process talk—the splintering off of obsessions, the dwelling with them, the fervent hope that what is said will be of some inherent interest.

I thought of you, reading this blog. I thought to say, Thank you. And happy new year.

11 comments:

Melissa said...

Happy New Year to you, too, Beth! Sounds like you had a great New Year's Eve. And like you, I could luxuriate (great word!) in the world of "Mad Men" forever. Love that show ...

Liviania said...

Happy New Year!

I adore learning about the writer's process - books, movies, TV, anything. I love picking up trivia about what a director was thinking and such. To me it makes the experience richer.

Becca said...

The writing process enthralls me and invigorates my own writer's mind. I love talking about writing with other writer's, and reading about their own process.

And yes, those "behind the scenes" looks at shows like Mad Men and West Wing are fascinating, too!

Kris Cahill said...

The writer's experience is the artist's experience, and we are all richer for having shared it.

I won't force the 'secret agents' among us to share if they don't want to, but I for one have gained so much by reading about what others are going through. It cuts right through the isolation, makes it a bit easier, to share the experience.

I always enjoy reading what you write about all of that. Happy New Year, and thank you!

Vivian Mahoney said...

I was rather dismayed as I read your post and finally relieved after reading the comments that I'm not the only one who craves reading/hearing about writing process and the journey.

I hope the friend who suggested this was not a writer?

Sleep well tonight. You are among friends and supporters who adore your blog and process. Happy New Year!

Ink Mage said...

"...this blog, which is nothing if not process talk—the splintering off of obsessions, the dwelling with them, the fervent hope that what is said will be of some inherent interest."

Your blog is always interesting! I don't comment much, but I always read, and your posts add a few peaceful, thoughtful moments to each day.

By the way, I got the copy of Nothing but Ghosts--thanks very, very much!--in the middle of last month and devoured it in one evening. I want to read it again more slowly (to savor it) before reviewing, and will post my praise-filled review on my blog closer to the release date.

Em said...

Hmm, this makes me recall college discussions about whether it is appropriate or not to talk of the author's intentions when analyzing a book. I say, let every voice be heard. And I enjoy hearing about your process. ;-)

Happy New Year!

Beth Kephart said...

Oh my gosh.

A hug to all of you. A word (words) to say that the embrace of you is real and felt and ever good.

Thank you.

Ink Mage: I had worried that NBG had disappointed you. Such a relief to know that it has not.

Cheers.

Anna Lefler said...

I, for one, can not get enough of the writer's process talk. I learn from it every time...every time. (Plus, it fascinates me...)

It may not be for everyone, but I would be surprised to meet a writer who did not appreciate it.

Happy New Year to you, too, Beth...

XO

Anna

Sherry said...

The greatest gift we've received on-line has been the world that authors have opened up to us. Not only in the books they've written, but in the sharing of their thoughts, processes, hopes, heartaches,love of reading,joy of life, and last but not least, the encouragement, to readers and writers alike, that stories matter. A big thanks and a Happy New Year to you, Beth.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP