The Liquid Wash of Was

Saturday, February 7, 2009

The birch in the back yard was a gift, ten years ago, from my parents. The brick walkway that leads to the front door was a gift, the last one from my mother. And this week, in between the rest of everything else, I was retracing the provenance of the hard metals and spark that I've carried forward, from girlhood until now.

I have been thinking, in other words, about the way things signify. About how often the objects in our lives are less about the things themselves—their utility, their value—and more about who we were at the time that they entered our lives, and who shapes our lives, and how memory waits for us in a quiet afternoon. Memory waits, and it lingers.

I'd bought myself a proper jewelry box, my first. I was putting my history in place. The ring I'd proudly acquired with the $35 dollars I'd earned one summer as a teen in South Carolina. The earrings my son brought home for Mother's Day. The ring I bought to remember my uncle by. The pearl that remembers Chicago. The tarnished silver from a friend who forgave me my decision. The ring I purchased one day, post-surgery, to prove to myself that I am a survivor, and the other ring, the one born of a poem. Reiko's Hawaii, in a pair of dangled fish. My brother's aquamarine. My own Seville, in tangled silver. My Barcelona, my San Miguel, my Nashville, my husband's exquisite taste in sapphire.

I have too much jewelry, I kept thinking, as I fit each piece into its velvet wedge. Too much, and I was almost in tears. But then the tears were for something else altogether—for lost time, for lost friends, for the liquid wash of was.

8 comments:

woman who roars said...

It's funny you wrote this today. Yesterday I went through my jewelry box with my daughter, and as enthralled as she was by the sparkles (she's 6) she was more interested in the stories behind each piece. I felt like I was introducing her to her granparents, great grandparents, her uncle Matt and her father in a whole new way. We shared so many stories, which lead into her memories and experiences with those special people. My beautiful little girl; a wonderful afternoon.

Liviania said...

I love this entry. I am rather attached to inanimate objects. Not just valuable things like trees and jewelry, but odd scraps of cloth and such. Once a thing has a story in relation to mine I find it hard to let it go. I remember it and tell it to myself, if to no one else.

Beth Kephart said...

Sierra, your story is so precious. Thank you for sharing it here.

And Liviana, I do hear you. I truly do.

Lenore Appelhans said...

I have almost no jewelry. My wedding ring is just a gold band and my ears aren't pierced.

But I am attached to many odd objects.

Sherry said...

Anything that triggers a fond memory is a treasure.

"Memory waits, and it lingers." So true.

PJ Hoover said...

Your jewelry deserves a wonderful place to live.

Becca said...

Jewelry signifies memories for me in so many ways, so this post touched my heart. But I am attached to many objects for precisely the reason you cite - because they recall the person I was at the time they entered my life.

Lovely thoughts, which mirror my own in so many ways (as your thoughts often do).

Anna Lefler said...

"The pearl that remembers Chicago."

Oh, Beth.

How do you do it?

XO

A.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP