Alive: Excerpt from a novel in progress

Monday, March 16, 2009

This is Seville, I say to you now. A place that rains flowers in the sun. This is Seville, and suddenly I’m so homesick I can’t stand it. Suddenly I need your dad, and mine, too, and I’m remembering last summer, with Kevin, when I thought the world had lost its color and he kept trying to convince me that it hadn’t. He would drive me to sunsets and moonrises and gardens; he’d say, “Look.” He’d pick me up after my mother had driven, in her preposterous hurry, off, and take me down roads that he’d found when he was running and the rest of us were standing still. “Look,” he’d say, “Jessa. The color’s still here,” and I tried to believe him, but he knew. And then one day he said he had concocted a solution, and he picked me up and drove me to his house and walked with me to his backyard. He told me to sit in one of those Adirondack chairs. He said I should close my eyes.

“Come on, Kevin. Tell me.”

“Just wait.”

“Where are you going?”

“Sit. And close your eyes.”

I did, at last, and he was gone a long time. When I heard his voice again I was nearly sleeping. “All right,” he said, and I turned, and there he was, by the basement door, and there, by his head, were butterflies, an entire swarm. He had a pot of aster in one hand and joe-pye in another, and I thought that maybe I was sleeping, that this was my strange dream.

“I bought eggs,” he said. “They’ve been hatching in the basement.”

“Butterfly eggs?”

“Yeah. You can get them. Mail order.” He was walking toward me, with those pots in each hand. The butterflies swarmed, and they flew. Satyrs and swallowtails and sulphurs and skippers—the S butterflies, the ones we’d learned in science and had decided to remember.

“Kevin,” I said, but that’s all I could say.

“Color,” he said.

“Yes,” I said. “Color.”

“You’re still alive, Jessa. Your father, of all people, wants you living."

17 comments:

Jinksy said...

Love the butterfly idea - what better living colour can you find?

Priya said...

I love the descriptions in this.

Doret said...

colorfully beautiful, thanks for sharing. Especially like the "the ones we learned in science and decided to remember" line

Doret said...

And I just wanted to say I absoutely loved your short story The Longest Distance in the soon to be released No Such Thing as the Real World short story collection (4/21) Never knew a short story could make you misty eyed. Freakin Beautiful

Tessa said...

Seville - and what a wonderful description of a place that surely "rains flowers in the sun." A lyrically poignant excerpt. Now I would like to read the book in it's entirety.

Saints and Spinners said...

Thank you for your generosity in sharing an excerpt. Your words paint pictures in my mind.

Maya Ganesan said...

I really really like this. I especially like the opening of the excerpt. Lovely.

Sherry said...

oh boy, do i like kevin

septembermom said...

Beautiful excerpt. A sky filled with butterflies. Alive with color. Well done!

Beth Kephart said...

Thank you, all of you, for this. This is a book that is only finished in my mind—perhaps 45 pages of writing still to go. I'll carry your encouragement forward on the days when things get stopped, for you know they nearly always do. And then I'll hope that this book finds a home. Right now, my only job is to write it.

Doret, I'm so touched that you read the short story, The Longest Distance. Thank you for that.

Saints and Spinners, so nice to see you here again.

kate hopper said...

This is lovely, Beth. What an image!

Sherrie Petersen said...

What a great excerpt! Thanks for sharing it. I'm really liking Kevin :^)

Em said...

The butterflies sound beautiful. And I love that the photo you used is almost colorless. Makes the description in the scene really pop out.

Em said...

another thought...perhaps you don't want to say yet, but is this a young adult novel?

Vivian Mahoney said...

I want to know more! Great teasing last sentence.

Anna Lefler said...

Oh, gorgeous. Your writing is like a reduction in cooking...so much intensity to savor in just one little taste.

I can't wait to read this book, Beth.

XO

Anna

GirlwiththeBraids said...

I got chills when I was reading it. I can't even describe it ... You are wonderful at sharing stories in a meaningful way.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP