The Big Green Screen (and the PBS American Experience)

Friday, March 13, 2009

I had a week that plunged me into so many different places in my head that I wake this morning feeling fractured. There I was, walking around with Katherine, my fictional character of Philadelphia 1876. There I was back on the cortijo in southern Spain, recalling with my old cook, Stella, the reverberating horrors of the Spanish Civil War. I was editing a piece for a client on a dialysis center. I was looking forward at health care trends. I was talking with Barbara DeMarco-Barrett about the making of memoir and fiction.

And then, yesterday, there I was at the Constitution Center, waiting my turn for that seat before the big green screen and the phenomenally well-informed Mark Moskowitz, rehearsing in my head all that I think I know about George Childs, the great Philadelphia newspaper editor, philanthropist, and community builder. I'd been asked to share my thoughts on behalf of a PBS American Experience documentary-in-progress on the life of my city. I was wondering, as I waited, what I really had to contribute. I was feeling less than.

This, then, is what happened: I met Stephanie, in make-up, who redesigned my face and chatted all the while about dance choreographers (one of my favorite topics). I met Damon Sinclair, who promised to show me his box step. The lighting guys were kind, and Mark's questions were fantastic, and all of a sudden I forgot to feel the panic I'd arrived with. I walked into a community—I, the lonesome writer—and was given a place. George Childs came alive again, thanks to the caring of many.

11 comments:

Jinksy said...

Shows how a bit of pampering boosts morale, if you ask me...

Little Willow said...

I love taking walks with characters.

Kudos on your contributions!

H said...

Having people just accept you into the fold straight away is wonderful for confidence. I'm glad you enjoyed it =)

woman who roars said...

An exciting day! My dad works in the film industry and from the stories he's told me, a lot of success is based on making guest/actors feel comfortable.

Vivian Mahoney said...

This sounds like a wonderful experience and cool project to be part of. Congrats!

Sherrie Petersen said...

What a day! The novel set in Spain sounds wonderful. I love Spain...

Sherry said...

I love this post.

Priya said...

Yay! I'm glad it ended up successful.

Unknown said...

you fit a lot in Beth- hope your taking plenty of viatmin 'b's !!

Beth Kephart said...

Hey and thanks to you all. Yes, it was fun not being me for a day. Now, if only I could always get a new face and a lighting crew that goes with really really really obscuring overtones, for all the obvious reasons.

Em said...

Beautiful photo!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP