Beth Kephart Interview (with Barbara DeMarco-Barrett)

Friday, March 13, 2009

I've mentioned a podcast recording of a one-hour dialogue I had earlier this week with that gem interviewer, Barbara DeMarco-Barrett. Our topics ranged from the crafting of authenticity in prose to the genesis of my involvement with young adult novels to the making of Nothing but Ghosts and Undercover (I read excerpts of both). We talked about what makes for good books overall. We spoke of how past awards, past seeming successes are, in fact, always in the past, and that every single day of writing feels brand new, raw, and uncertain.

If you can forgive the popped Ps of a long-distance phone conversation (I hope you can and will), I invite you to listen in here.

5 comments:

Sherry said...

As I pushed the play button to begin listening, I imagined myself sitting in the stucco-lined, sun-drenched patio of a townhouse we once stayed at next to the UC-Irvine campus, listening to this interview live, with my feet propped up on the seat of the remaining patio chair, imagining that a college student or two must be passing by the front walk heading off to class. Mmmmm.

If that wasn't treat enough.

That. Was not just an incredible interview, but, also, a "guest author class" for today's writers and readers of good books. So much wisdom given, so many thoughts provoked. Thank you!

Sherrie Petersen said...

What a great interview!

The passage you read was so beautiful, haunting really. I spent a summer in Spain and Barcelona the year I turned 20, the 10 year anniversary of my parents death. I'll definitely have to read this book.

Beth Kephart said...

Sherry—this image of you, in Irvine. Wow. And the thought of you listening all the way through. How I thank you.

And Solvang Sherrie: You, too. Thank you. Your own story — well, in two lines I learn so much, and wonder, and feel sad for such a loss at that young age.

Vivian Mahoney said...

Beth! I am in awe with your interview. Not only because you mentioned me, which in itself is an honor, but because of the thought and cadence of your answers. It makes me think you'd be FANTASTIC at poetry slam, by the way.

And the dialogue about a certain book--quite amusing.

Em said...

Oh, Vivian, can you imagine how lucky we'd be to hear Beth read at a poetry slam?! Now that would be fun event.

Going to download the podcast now...

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP