What Makes A Book Great?

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Talking with Barbara DeMarco-Barrett is one of a writer's guiltiest pleasures. She wants to know what you do and why. She lets you talk process. She actually reads the books you've arrived (via phone, in my case) to discuss and sends you back into the mindspace of creation. I like being there, in that mindspace.

Yesterday's one-hour conversation will soon be available through podcast, and when that's the case, I'll let you know. For today, however, I thought I'd share with you an answer to one of Barbara's questions about the criteria by which I evaluate books. I returned, with her, to the year I chaired the National Book Awards Young People's Literature jury (2001) and to these words that I delivered when presenting the five nominees—An Na, Marilyn Nelson, Kate DiCamillo, Phillip Hoose, and Virginia Euwer Woolf (the winner):

We concerned ourselves with matters of framing, form, and voice; with credibility and characterization; with the execution of plot or storyline. We studied the language—was it rigorous? Tantalizing? Fresh? We explored dynamics pertaining to originality and mood, meaning and soul. We thought out loud about each book’s innate capacity to alert, embolden, and inspire. Enduring books are the ones that enter the blood streams of their readers—that stir and shape and finally transform. They are the ones that get passed on, parent to child, friend to friend, the ones that jolt us toward insight, compassion, idea, hope, politics, or love. Toward the answers to the questions we must keep asking.

7 comments:

Tessa said...

'The mindspace of creation' - what a wonderful description! It is indeed a glorious place to be, Beth.

I'm so looking forward to the podcast. The genre of Young Adult Literature is a fairly new one to me - or is it, I wonder? It probably didn't have a moniker when I was young, but I would imagine that authors such as Rumor Godden, Nell Dunn and Lyn Reid Banks would now be considered to be part of that illustrious, creative and inspiring group.

Em said...

It must have been so much fun to read those books and discuss them with a group. The discussions that come after are one of my favorite things about reading books.

(and that picture is making me hungry)

Anonymous said...

"...that enters the blood stream..." - perfectly put! I just thought of another book, although it's a while ago that you asked for book recommendations: The Forest of Hours by Kerstin Ekman. I read the Swedish version first, then the English, as part of my MA in Translation Studies. A fine example of where a translator has masterfully managed to transfer not only the meaning of the actual words, but also the feeling, the sense and imagery of a book that is "very Swedish". It's a hugely unique concept and plot, and the richness of the language (both the original author's and the translator's) is wonderful.

Becca said...

I've just been catching up on all the posts I've missed while away. You've had such a busy and exciting time...I hope you're enjoying it all!

I will look forward to your podcast with Barbara. I love her shows (and her book!)

Sarah Anne said...

I really, really, really like that picture. It's so colorful and just happiness. Not to mention candyness. Now I'm wanting sugar. :)

H said...

Those sweets look so good!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP