The Recession Generation

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Reading the Sunday Times on Monday, a story called "The Making of Generation OMG," I come upon these words: Regardless of their age, members of the recession generation will most likely be shaped by a return to Things That Matter, a redefinition of values.

Less eventual emphasis on consuming, the article makes clear. A greater value placed on family life and secure jobs, a quest for "personal meaning."

Besides reminding me of the subtitle of a book I once wrote (Into the Tangle of Friendship: A Memoir of the Things that Matter), the story made me think of all the young people I've lately had the privilege of knowing, if only for a day. The children of North Philadelphia, with whom I went out taking photos one afternoon. The young writers of a few weeks ago. The young poet, K., whom I mentor. Moira, my University of Pennsylvania intern (and ultimate inspiration for Zenobia, that curious book of business). The kids at church. My own son. The bloggers—Erin, Liviania, Maya, Priya, Emily Ruth, Cuileann, Tasha, Lauren, Joyce, That One Girl Emily, the list goes on and on—who have their whole lives ahead of them and are choosing to use their right now to read good books and to engage in intelligent, thoughtful conversations about matters I couldn't grasp until I was twice their age.

Even before the breadth and depth of this recession had been augured, these young people were engaged in a quest for meaning. They were, at the same time, expecting to be engaged. By books, by art, by possibilities, by adults who might listen and might suggest a way. This recession will reshape all of us, no doubt. It will also pave the way for those who already have so much to give, who are thinking way beyond the few words afforded by Twitter, who have already committed their lives, as Erin wrote a few days ago, to making people feel stuff.

10 comments:

Jinksy said...

I would say a redefinition of values is the one aspect of existance that's needed to be addressed for many years. Speaking from experience, people's values just after the war were a millon miles away from those encountered more recently and I'm sure a return to them would benefit the world.

Tessa said...

Yes, jinksy is absolutely spot on. In many ways, the upside to this worldwide recession is that it may bring people of different backgrounds, creeds and colour together in a way that could be beneficial to us all.

Maya Ganesan said...

I gasped when I spotted my name. Thank you!

Erin said...

You are so kind, Beth.

I am so grateful for the opportunities I've had and everything that's happened to me, both good and bad, because it's made me who I am and brought me to right where I am, today. And that's a good feeling.

Sherry said...

Thank you for sharing that article. These teen (and pre-teen) bloggers that share books, poetry,thoughts inspire all of us. I've been having these same thoughts about how they are living differently and how they will affect the world.

Funny you should mention your book, Into the Tangle of Friendship. I picked it up at our university library and started reading it last night. :)

Sherry said...

P.S. Your photo of the adorable little girl melts me.

Unknown said...

Yes, I think that today is the age for spiritual and emotional searching. And not only with young people. I have encountered a lot of men and women of different ages who turn to rediscovering their identities and deeper truths.

Priya said...

Beth, you are simply wonderful.

Beth Kephart said...

A bit inclusive hug to you all....

:)

b

Em said...

I am constantly amazed at the wonderfulness that is being created by teen and pre-teen bloggers. And then there are the ones that aren't blogging, but are emailing me thoughtful responses to my posts. Sometimes they disagree with me but it's always done so respectfully and with such enthusiasm for books. I admire them for being brave enough to engage in a conversation and for wanting to make their voice heard. It gives me a little more courage to speak out. :)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP