Dangerous Neighbors, my historical novel, has found its right home

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Several years ago, Laura Geringer wrote a most extraordinary note, inviting me to consider writing for young adults. Despite years spent teaching children and a stint as the chair of the 2001 National Book Awards Young People's Literature jury, this was not something that I felt I knew how to do. Nonetheless, I loved Laura's mind from the first, I loved our conversations, and we kept talking. We talked for almost a year until we finally met in person—Laura asking me questions on a rainy Sunday morning to which some combination of my personal history and imagination responded. Undercover emerged under Laura's great care. House of Dance was next. Nothing but Ghosts and a short story for the just-released HarperTeen anthology No Such Thing as the Real World were subsequent. Finally, Laura bought the early pages of The Heart of Not a Size, the Juarez novel due out from HarperTeen next March (and carried so ably forward by the delightful Jill Santopolo).

Laura left HarperTeen in August of last year, but our friendship continued. Today I am so utterly happy to announce that I'll be working with Laura again on an historical novel that is currently titled Dangerous Neighbors. It's a book that I conceived of several years ago, when writing Flow, my autobiography of the Schuylkill River. It's a book that Amy Rennert, my agent, wholly believed in. It's a book that went through several iterations and will, no doubt, again, for Laura asks exquisite questions, she pushes authors far, she sees, and—more than anything—she believes in literature and complex stories, in fiction that pushes boundaries.

I have the chance to work with Laura again because she has formed an alliance with a genuinely interesting publishing house called Egmont USA, an outgrowth of a publishing house with a long European pedigree. In making her announcement about Laura today, Egmont USA publisher Elizabeth Law noted that "her excellent taste, creative ideas and deep relationships in the field will be a perfect complement to our fast growing children's list."

Yes. Yes. And Yes.

A brief description of Dangerous Neighbors:

It is the Centennial year in Philadelphia, and Katherine has lost her twin sister to an inconceivable accident. One wickedly hot September day at the height of exhibition madness, Katherine sets out to cut short the lonesome life she is no longer willing to live. This is the story of what happens.

23 comments:

Becca said...

I can't wait to find out what happens :)

Jinksy said...

Sounds like an interesting place to start...

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're getting to work with her again. That's wonderful.

Em said...

woohoo! Dancing for you here! :)

Kelly H-Y said...

Wow ... how exciting!!! How wonderful to have that relationship. Congrats! And, I love the sounds of your little snippet!

holly cupala said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful news, Beth! I'm so happy for you, and thankful to Laura for drawing you into the world of YA lit! My friend Janet Lee Carey has a novel coming out with Egmont USA in the fall (Stealing Death), and has had such a wonderful experience there.

Vivian Mahoney said...

Wahoo!

I am so thrilled with this news, Beth. I love the title and the intro is very intriguing. Thank goodness we will have more of your books to savor.

Congratulations!

Erin said...

Congratulations Beth!!!! I can't wait to read it.

Beth Kephart said...

To all of you, from all of me.

I am distracted by happiness. And so glad that I can finally share the news. I'm not sure I'll be coherent tomorrow. But do know how much I appreciate your words.

Q said...

I'm so excited to hear more!

Anonymous said...

What? There was a time you did not know if you knew how to write for young adults? Wow, amazing. You are so eloquent, I imagine many ages of readers enjoy your style.

Melissa said...

Oh, this is wonderful news. All of it. Looking forward to reading more ...

Woman in a Window said...

So exciting! All of this. I hope you have a good heart. How much excitement can one woman take?

LisaSam said...

Great news! Congrats!

Priya said...

Congratulations! And I'm already hooked by the description of Dangerous Neighbors!

Sherrie Petersen said...

How exciting! I'm looking forward to hearing more :)

Ed Goldberg said...

I am constantly amazed at the number of different ideas you have for your books. Realistic fiction. Historical fiction. Adult. Young Adult. You never cease to amaze.
And then to add your photography to the mix. Jealous? You bet.

Maya Ganesan said...

I can't wait to read this. Congrats.

Anna Lefler said...

Congratulations, Beth - much deserved (as always)!

High-fives all around and I can't wait to read this book!

Savor your success... Cheers!

XO

Anna

poetjanes said...

What wonderful news! Congrats, Beth and best wishes for this book's launching into the world.

Laurie Schneider said...

Enthusiastic applause that I'll soon have another wonderful book to read, and that you found it a home with an old friend.

Melissa Walker said...

I never had an iota of a doubt that this book would find a home, Beth. I am SO SO happy for you! And for me! Because I'll get to read it.

Amy said...

Yay! I can't wait to read it! It's so funny, because I was looking over Egmont's debut line-up of YA books and made a point of stopping by their booth at BEA to let them know I really want to work with them. I was really impressed by what I saw. Thankfully, they were very receptive to the idea. ;)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP