Finches, Ghosts, and Writing about our Mothers

Saturday, May 9, 2009

At the close of his review of Nothing but Ghosts, Ed Goldberg P.S.ed: And what/who is that finch that keeps pecking at Katie’s bedroom window? I have my ideas!

The finch of which Mr. Goldberg speaks is ever present, introduced in the book's second sentence:

There are the things that have been and the things that haven't happened yet. There is the squiggle of a line between, which is the color of caution, the color of the bird that comes to my window every morning, rattling me awake with the hammer of its beak. You would think that the glass would break, or else that dumb bird's beak. You would think that I could think myself right on back to sleep, because I am sixteen, a grown up, and I know things. But this is the start of every day: being rattled awake by the world’s most annoying bird.

In Ghosts, Katie is searching for answers in the wake of her mother's dying. Ultimately the world's most annoying bird shows her the way. In real life, the finch arrived shortly after my mother's death—pounded at my office window until I finally began to pay it some attention. There hadn't been finches in these parts before. Certainly I'd never had a bird drill at my window; have you? But my mother was gone, and there was this bird, and suddenly it occurred to me that spirits return in gilded feathers. I hung a feeder by the window, and more finches arrived. I wrote Nothing but Ghosts in a fevered spring and summer, accompanied by the birds.

Today, in the New York Times, Lori Gottlieb writes an important essay about the choices writers make when they are writing about their mothers. The reverberations, the ramifications, the rights, or not, of a writer. With Ghosts I chose to honor my mother by not writing about my mother. I wrote, instead, about the overwhelm of loss, about love in the aftermath of dying. I wrote toward the spirit of my mother without using a single scene from her real life. I wrote fiction, in other words, and left it there, for fiction, I've discovered, after many books and many genres, often takes us closest to the uncompromised, unreprimanded truth.

9 comments:

Melissa said...

Thinking of you on this Mother's Day weekend.

kristen spina said...

In the hours, days after my father died, a small bluebird came to the window of the den at my mother's house--repeatedly, knocking away. We spoke a lot about "what if...". And then he just stopped coming.

Happy Mother's Day, Beth. I hope you have a lovely weekend with your family.

Anonymous said...

That's lovely and I agree that fiction speaks to the truth most truthfully.

Priya said...

I was wondering about that finch too. Thanks for clearing it up!

Woman in a Window said...

Just makes me want to read all the more.

septembermom said...

I like the idea of fiction becoming the "window" to truths waiting to be unearthed. Happy Mother's Day!

Anna Lefler said...

You always make the wisest choices. Much to think about here...

XO

A.

Em said...

By not writing about your mother, I think you honored her in the most beautiful way. Only a daughter who had a close relationship with her mother could have written Katie's story.

Melissa Walker said...

I agree with Em. "Mother" was throughout NOTHING BUT GHOSTS, hovering in the lightest and most honest way.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP