Heart Healing

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

In a story posted yesterday on MSNBC.com, Bill Briggs writes of the doctors who are "increasingly studying—and employing—the physiological dance music does with the body's neurons and blood-carrying cells." Of patients whose rooms are filled with the sounds of harp or Brazilian guitar, post surgery. Of melody's vital role in slowing heart beats, spiking pituitary growth hormone, or dilating the tissue in blood vessels. Of the relationship between song and healing. The harp, as it turns out, has extraordinary healing powers as an instrument whose vibrations are capable of going "to the deepest places of the body," according to Tami Briggs, a harp therapist. But listening to "joyful" music is essential, too, a newly prescribed regimen for those concerned about heart health, and Mozart, too, is a recommended cure.

I write often, on this blog, of dance. My house, when I'm not working, is jammed with song. At night, in the dark, music is there, in my thoughts, and everything I write is pinned to rhythm.
I have never been able to tame my own urgent need for lyric, melody, lift, and sometimes I have been ashamed by that—ashamed by my need to dance, my desire to move, my insatiable want of more song.

Perhaps, I think now, the music is keeping me alive—saving me (mostly) from the extremes of myself and, at least for now, for a while longer, protecting my big, fractured heart.

11 comments:

Cynthia Pittmann said...

I sure that it's true, Beth. Music is essential and impact overall health. I should have added that to my list of "how to adapt to change". Here's my confession: My son listens to horrible...music! (Screamo)Maybe all young people go through this but he's not so young. I think it impacts his joy and overall concentration-he has ADD without hyperactivity. I cannot tell him not to listen (or write this type of music)but I could play harp music in the house. Good idea! (I think my kids are going to rebell.) Another confession...my husband is a musican-classical guitar by training...but all styles really, my daughter studies vocals, you see my son's attempts above and me??? I have the chants going in the morning...and as you said...there is a song in my heart/mind whenever I stop to notice. I've discovered that music powerfully brings out emotional states and sometimes I avoid what makes me too sad. I'm glad to read that you dance...how delightful. I find myself dancing at the most unexpected times...I love Indian (East)dance and enjoyed trying to learn the steps at the end of Slum Dog Mil...great moves!!! -though I think I might embarrass my daughter!

Btw why are the schools always trying to cut music programs just as we're getting more proof of its importance in overall development-including intellectual? <3

Jinksy said...

I'm certain that sounds work on the body and think will be used for healing all manner of aliments once science catches up!

Anonymous said...

I love music but don't have any harp. I'm always looking for new music to explore and I'm going to see what the library has.

Priya said...

Interesting! I've never heard of that before.

Kelly H-Y said...

Hope all is well ...
What a beautiful post. Our church just hired a pianist who is also a music therapist ... I've enjoyed learning more about such a role. It makes such perfect sense ... certain music can be so calming and comforting.

Woman in a Window said...

Never apologize for your need for expression. If it feeds you then thrive!

Sherry said...

Music is medicine.
And live music is the prescription kind ;)

LisaSam said...

Hi Beth-
This makes me think of the man in Young at Heart who is hospitalized and does not speak but sings all his favorite songs. Music can help healing and I find it is a good mood adjuster for me. Lov the pic, too.

Anna Lefler said...

Music = Magic. No doubt.

I couldn't live without it, either.

Here's to protected (and healed) hearts.

XO

Anna

Vivian Mahoney said...

I love how music can change my mood, bring me back to a moment in time, and simply inspire. It is emotion and life.

Did you know doctors have found the disco beat of Stayin' Alive by the Bee Gees perfect for administering CPR?

Q said...

I wish I could sing more often than I do, but I don't want to disturb anyone else.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP