The Gardens of Alcatraz, A Prisoner's Release

Sunday, August 23, 2009

"The hillside provided a refuge from disturbances of the prison, the work a release, and it became an obsession. This one thing I would do well.... If we are all our own jailers, and prisoners of our traits, then I am grateful for my introduction to the spade and trowel, the seed and the spray can. They have given me a lasting interest in creativity."

Elliott Michener, Alcatraz prisoner and gardener, quoted in Gardens of Alcatraz.

2 comments:

Becca said...

I was struck by so much beauty at Alcatraz - the cliffs and that beautiful ocean. And now to think of a garden there...it helps to mitigate the bleakness of the prison.

Sherry said...

Everything about this post is beautiful.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP