A Starred Review for Nothing but Ghosts

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The boy leaned forward to prepare himself for the quick dash across the plaza. Leaned forward, spread his wings. He was surprised by his own speed. He laughed. He never thought he'd get so far.

Yesterday I was in my post-vacation panic—piled high with work, looking ahead with consternation—when an e-mail slipped in from Ruta Rimas, my new editor at HarperTeen. There had been a starred review of Nothing but Ghosts from the Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, she wrote, an especially beautiful one. She wanted to share it with me.

I leaned forward. I was surprised. I never thought ....

From the review:

... Kephart employs this basic framework to spin a story of human connection and human loss, of looking forward and remaining frozen in time, as flashbacks to Katie's mother's life and last days interleave with Katie's unearthing of secrets about Miss Martine's past. The style is elegantly polished yet tender, with the book deftly illuminating complicated emotions and relationships in quick flashes of interaction; Katie's budding romance with her co-worker, Danny, her friendship with the soignee librarian who aids her research, and her father's growing comradeship with the needy preschooler across the street all evolve quietly yet affectingly...

11 comments:

Beth F said...

And there is nothing to add. So happy for you.

bermudaonion said...

I'm not surprised at all. The book is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and so well deserved. I just finished reading it yesterday. Haven't had energy yet to write about it. (pneumonia takes its toll) But lovely.

Sherry said...

This is the second starred review for NBG, right? Woohoo! Congrats, Beth.

Priya said...

What a lovely review. You must be stoked.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Good to see the professional reviewers have such great taste :)

Beth Kephart said...

I wanted to say, well: I wanted to say thank you.

This is a life of enormous blessings, not least of which is all of you.

Julie P. said...

I can't think of someone who deserves these accolades more. Congrats!

Laurie Schneider said...

I'm with Lenore! Happy for your good news, Beth.

Saints and Spinners said...

That's great! I'm happy for you (and happy I have a signed copy, too).

Em said...

It just makes me so happy to know that somewhere someone else has been touched by your books. Beautiful books, all of them.

And am now adding soignee to my Elisa-inspired word journal...

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP