Ghosts in the Garden and the Rhetoric of Style

Monday, September 7, 2009

Kelsey Coons is family—the daughter of my cousin, Linda, and thus a Kephart by blood. Like her sister, Brianne, she is athletic, gorgeous, smart. Like her sister, she had a knack for making my mother smile. She always makes me smile, too, especially since we're also united by our love for dance (and for the show, So You Think You Can Dance).

Last fall Kelsey took a college class called Rhetoric of Style and chose the chapter "A Talent for Living" from my memoir Ghosts in the Garden as the subject of her final paper. Yesterday she asked if I would like to read it, and of course I said I would. I wanted to know Kelsey better. As it turns out, she taught me a whole lot about myself. About how I use semi-colons (as fulcrums). About how my use of the rhetorical I and you allows me to "generalize (my) personal epiphany to apply to reader who may make their living other ways." About how I use parentheses to validate word choices. About the emphasis I place on sounds. About the chemical mix of my choice in pronouns.

It is stunning to come up against the thoughts of one who has counted, literally, the syllables in your sentences, who has weighed the anaphoric series, who has discovered the rationale behind your own word choices, and not just your word choices, but your vowel choices. It is, in fact, humbling, to be found out—to have what you thought were your secrets parsed. On every level of her assessment, Kelsey got this right. She saw what it was that I hoped to do with words, and word parts, and expressed it far more intelligently than I myself would know how to do.

This blog post, then, is to honor Kelsey, and her talent for paying such close attention.

8 comments:

septembermom said...

How cool to see such an analysis of your writing style. Sounds like Kelsey did an amazing job!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Kelsey!

Kelsey C said...

Beth, I'm so flattered by your kind words! I feel so lucky to be able to share my analysis with you. Sometimes I think dissecting a work tells you as much about yourself as about the writer--what you look for and what you find. Maybe that's why it took me so long to show you, for fear of having gotten it wrong. It's exciting to know that I caught a glimpse of your intention. Maybe it is that whole family thing.
Love,
Kelsey

bermudaonion said...

Kelsey sounds so smart and what a compliment to you that she chose your work to write about.

Beth Kephart said...

Kelsey, it's more than the whole family thing....

You have an eye. You have talent.

Love,

b

Beth F said...

Whoa! What an amazing connection between you two. Kelsey, sounds like you have a gift.

Em said...

That sounds like a fun assignment! And so wonderful that she could share it with you.

Sherry said...

You two share much talent. Wonderful.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP