The Good Thief/Review

Saturday, September 12, 2009

It would not be possible to say just how much I loved Hannah Tinti's The Good Thief, though if I told you that it sits directly beside The Book Thief in my estimation, you would perhaps begin to understand.

It's the sort of novel I wish I knew how to write—a straightforward, plot-rich escapade about a one-handed boy on the lam from the orphanage from which he has been taken by a story-spouting graveyard robber, who isn't half as bad as that description makes him seem. One thing in this book directly leads to another with language so pure and alive that I wanted to do nothing else yesterday but lie beneath a blanket with this book in hand.

Tinti demonstrates, in The Good Thief, a perfect ear for timing, an incredible knack for creating original characters, and a huge heart. The book feels Dickensian, but somehow modern, too. It is set in the crumb and crumble of mousetrap factories and grimy pubs and cadaver-brewing hospitals, and yet there's so much light in it, too. Ren, our hero, is on a journey. He has Saint Anthony on his side, not to mention a cabal of secondary characters who are hardly secondary.

Published for adults, this is classic YA material, too, demanding to be read (read? consumed!) by all ages. I know that I'll be buying extra copies for nieces and nephews quite soon.

9 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I wish I could tell you how many times I've looked at this book in the bookstore. I've picked it up and then decided I had it mixed up with The Book Thief. I've added it to my wish list.

Beth F said...

Wow. This is one that I have heard of but not really considered. Super review because it made me want to read the book. As soon as I hit "post comment," I'm off to see if it's available on ebook so I can buy it right away.

Em said...

Ha, you read my mind. I was hemming and hawwing over this book yesterday at the bookstore, thought it looked fabulous but, I mean really, do I need more books? Well, now I know that I do. :)

Erin said...

Putting this on my to-read list!

Amy said...

I really loved this book as well, Beth! I'm so glad we're of a kindred mind on this one. ;)

Shelf Elf said...

I've been eyeing this one for a while Beth, and your review makes me think it would be the book to buy for my husband for Christmas to read aloud to me (it's this thing we do). Thanks!

A Cuban In London said...

Many thanks for your review. It feels good to want to sneak into bed with a gem like this. Thebook I'm reading now is having the same effect on me.

Greetings from London.

Maya Ganesan said...

It is my mom who tells me nearly every evening, Have you seen Beth's latest post? You have to read it! It's so nice!

Sometimes on a busy day, after her recommendation, I squeeze in a visit to your blog to see what she was so interested in. I'm always satisfied.

Thank you for that, for always posting something sweet and sincere for us to enjoy. :)

Vivian Mahoney said...

To pair this with The Book Thief, a book I wish I could write...I must get this book. Thanks for the recommendation!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP