Baptism/Beth Kephart Poem

Thursday, September 10, 2009

The distance between now and then is the ants,
spilled as if from a candy dish
across the wood horizontals of the deck,
and so swiftly organized into cross currents
that I am sent back in time
to the cracked pavement of Ashbourne Hills,
where I sit naked kneed to the sun.

I wear the short pixie hair of a girl
who has not yet come into all her moods.

I have braided the streamers of my brother's new bike.
I have watched him swirl the cul-de-sac
on the balance of two wheels.
I have heard my mother call,
and I am tired out by pride, eyes closed
and socks turned down at the ankle bone,
almost asleep to the dream of a cat nuzzling by.

I am honeysuckle sugar, I am pale, a hollow stem.
The ants are silent, and they come.

I am saved by my own screams,
and by mother's friend. I am lifted up
into Aunt Loretta's arms, carried from the pave,
over the yard, and plunged
into the running-with-water tub of the house
I only just remember the music of.

My dress, my socks, like the black ants drowned.
Something like innocence lost,
something like pride,
except for how, even now,
it is the dream that nuzzles by,

the bend of streaming time,
the distance from then.

9 comments:

pink dogwood said...

This is so beautifully written.

I borrowed my daughter's copy of the house of dance, and I am hooked. You say so much with just a few words at times - I am truly enjoying reading it - you are just amazing :)

Em said...

"a girl
who has not yet come into all her moods"-- You so easily sum up what it means to be young. I love this way of looking at it.

And the cat. What a beauty.

Sherry said...

I agree with all of the above comments. Your descriptions and storytelling delight.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Erin said...

I love this. So much. Wow. It's breathtaking.

Wow.

A Cuban In London said...

What I loved the most about your poem was the uniformity of it. An endless line of memories stitched together by the magic of the animal world. It was a beautiful piece of art.

Many thanks.

Greetings from London.

Jinksy said...

I did enjoy this picture of being terrorised, then rescued from, ants - the tiniest of enemies.

Julie P. said...

Wow -- you never cease to amaze me with your writing! Please don't ever stop!!!

Beth F said...

I'm speechless. Lovely.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP