Way Cool Artsy Women

Sunday, September 20, 2009

It was not easy to get a note from a friend from whom I haven't heard from awhile that said, I have been living with cancer. She is young, beautiful, a wife, a mother, talented, and she has been living with cancer. I read what she has written about her journey so far, and I think: This is not a journey that I would know how to go on, or know how to write of, or know how to endure, but there she is, in her own way comforting me, speaking of good doctors, a loving husband, the surround of friends and children, the future. She is speaking of what will happen next, a few days from now following her second chemo treatment, when her hair will begin to fall away.

No, I think. No.

But my friend Denise writes on: I am going to be one of those way cool artsy women with the scarves and big earrings.

What is my choice, then? Only this: To be one of those made-braver-by-her friends who will go out in search of the world's best earrings.

10 comments:

Julie P. said...

Wow! I guess we all have to learn from the strength of women like your friend. I don't think I could ever be as brave and cool as her, but she is definitely an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

That is so sad and yet I am sure you'll find fabulous earrings for her.

Anna Lefler said...

Heroes are all around us - in so many shapes and forms (and accessories).

I'm so sorry for your friend...but how lucky is she (also) to have you for a friend?

XO

Anna

poetjanes said...

In September, 2006, poet and essayist Deborah Tall visited my university to read from her newest book, A Family of Strangers.

She was that person--the way cool artsy woman and incredible writer who reached to audiences during a devastating illness. An inspiration: just like your friend. All best to her. And her family and friends.

Vivian Mahoney said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, but am so glad she plans on living her life, her courage shining through.

Hugs.

Woman in a Window said...

I've chills to your response.

What choice do any of us have ever, but to make the most of each day. Your friend sounds fierce and loving. I wish her a stride to match all of that passion.
xo
erin

Beth F said...

The best thing we can be is the best friend that we can be. I know this from personal experience.

ds said...

I second Beth F (sadly, also from personal experience). Buy the earrings, the scarves, the silly socks, and talk. And listen. And hug. Often.

Sherrie Petersen said...

I am awed by people who can embrace life even when they are facing death. I know you'll find the right earrings. ((hugs))

Kelly H-Y said...

Oh how I love this post, and your last sentence. We just learned that my mom has metastatic breast cancer in multiple places throughout her body, so this post truly resonated with me. Thank you.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP