The Lore Kephart Distinguished Historians Lecture Series

Sunday, September 20, 2009

My mother went to college after she had raised the three of us—choosing Villanova as her academic home and remaining an essential fixture on the campus long after she had graduated in the top of her class. She and my father sponsored aspiring historians and contributed to funds. They befriended Villanova scholars and dreams.

Shortly after my mother passed away, my father decided to make her presence at Villanova a permanent one by creating and endowing The Lore Kephart, '86, Distinguished Historians Lecture Series. Working with a team of historians and administrators (including my own dear friend Paul Steege), he has, in her honor, launched what will be an extraordinary yearly lecture, open to the entire community.

Pulitzer Prize winner James McPherson, Ph.D. will give the inaugural lecture—"Lincoln as Commander-in-Chief"—on September 30, 7 PM, in the Villanova Room of the Connelly Center. The George Henry Davis 1886 Professor of American History, Emeritus, at Princeton, Dr. McPherson won his Pulitzer for Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era, a book that went on to sell some 600,000 copies and precipitated a renewed interest in the Civil War. In 1998, Dr. McPherson won the Lincoln Prize for his book, For Cause and Comrades: When Men Fought in the Civil War.

My father, I, and all of the Kepharts hope those of you who live near enough will join us for this evening of celebration and learning. Registration for the free event happens here.

13 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Oh, what a beautiful tribute to your mother. I do wish I could be there.

septembermom said...

Oh, I so wish I could attend. It sounds wonderful. Your mother is smiling as she watches over all of you. What a lovely, lasting tribute to her.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute. What a wonderful contribution to your community.

Anna Lefler said...

This is amazing. I'm so proud for you and your entire family.

Wish I could be there...

XO

Anna

poetjanes said...

What a wonderful legacy!

Sherry said...

Your family is amazing. We know where you get your *amazingness*.

This is wonderful.

Vivian Mahoney said...

Your family is incredible. What a wonderful way to honor your mother and support what she loved.

This sounds like a great lecture. I'm halfway tempted to go there--Eldest is studying the Civil War this year and I need to beef up on my facts. :-)

Woman in a Window said...

What an amazing way to remember year after year.

Beth F said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth F said...

What a fantastic memorial and McPherson as the first lecturer is just fantastic. I truly wish I could be there.

Tara McClendon said...

This is such a touching legacy. Best of luck with it.

Anonymous said...

A tribute that any woman would be honored by!

Sherrie Petersen said...

What a wonderful legacy! That's an awesome way to honor her memory.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP