Writing by the Numbers/Twin Stories

Saturday, October 24, 2009

On October 19th, The New Yorker published a piece by Rebecca Mead called "The Gossip Mill." Subtitled, "Alloy, the teen-entertainment factory," the piece revealed the behind-the-scenes machinations of the company that packages approximately 30 teen-oriented books each year, while also scouring the what if? horizon for new TV and feature film projects. Alloy is indeed a factory. Its products are designed to sell, built to please, crafted with an insider's understanding of what teens really want, and want right now. The Gossip Girl series is the brainchild of Alloy. So is The Luxe and The Clique. With concepts brewed in team meetings, plots crafted by committee, and authors hired to see the big concepts through, teens, apparently, are getting their own very special brand of berries.

As one who struggles along here on her own, writing from her heart, I read the story with more than a modicum of interest, wondering how I would fare in a write-by-numbers scenario. Not well, most likely, since I've yet to use (as I've already stated here) so much as an outline, and since one sentence inevitably (if painfully) leads me to the next sentence, as opposed to, say, a hyper-imposed yellow sticky or rules sheet.

Mid-way through the article, however, I was stopped in my tracks by these words. "Shandler says, 'More serious, angsty literature is where girls are right now. Morbid, dead-girl lit.' Alloy's next offering in this genre is a book called 'Wish,' which is to be published by Scholastic in January. The heroine of 'Wish,' Olivia Larsen, is a withdrawn 17-year-old in San Francisco whose outgoing twin sister, Violet, has recently died...."

Um, I thought. Hmm. Dangerous Neighbors, my historical novel, is about twin sisters, one of whom has died. It's serious, too, it's literature, and there's a fair amount of angst, but I would like not to think of it as morbid. Still, could I, in my five years of non-committee isolation with this book, my fifteen drafts, my word-by-word finding my way, my nose-too-buried-to-parse-out-the-leading-indicators, have inadvertently hit on some pop trend? Was that trend already augured by Audrey Niffenegger's Her Fearful Symmetry another book about twin sisters, one of whom also dies?

Could I, in other words, be onto something?

An entire year will pass before my book is out on shelves. I'll just have to wait to see what is what by then. I'll spend the time curled up with this adult novel I'm writing, immune to the trends in that genre, too, never knowing, day by day, just where I'm going.

5 comments:

Cynthia Pittmann said...

It's kind of exciting, Beth, to think that you struck gold. I hope it does pan out for you (sorry about the pun). I am also fascinated by these collective writing teams...and think it would be great and horrible! The great part is sharing ideas, and collaborating with other writers who may create a fantastic new idea. The horrible part is having to follow a plan based on statistics or being paired with a writing team that lacks vision. Still...I've been observing how TV series writers have great moments...but in collaboration, they sometimes don't know the earlier plot details well enough. The lack of information and/or understanding can make a mess of the story...or if they don't know the characters well. There is a tendency (I know that you know) to write from experience and personality...the author's. If a lot of author's get involved...and they are dissimilar...what a mess! Especially, when the author is a 'typically male/typically female' combination. The jokes don't work with a more contemporary audience. I'm thinking of various scenes in "Gilmore Girls" and "Friends"...but even "Six Feet Under" had some moments where author(s) vision(s)seemed to collide. I don't watch much TV but I buy series and watch them from beginning to end. My experience is related to that type of viewing-the kind where you know the prior events well because you just watched them.

I love your description of writing on your porch or in your home. I think that your process is the kind that can sustain you over a life-time.

The factory-assembly method you read about is a bit like the Walt Disney method. Some people love the outcome...but others feel it lacks genuine vibrancy.

I hope your book 'knocks em dead'! :-)

Anna Lefler said...

You're ALWAYS on to something!

XO

Anna

Melissa said...

Great post ... much to think about here.

Em said...

I find trends in literature so interesting. It often makes me wonder how much the reading public has a say in what trends come into popularity. Arguably, it's agents and editors who create trends by looking for books that fit into a specific mold (twins, death, or the ever present vampires). It will be fun to see how your books plays into this. Regardless of the tren, it will be read and enjoyed by many.

Melissa Walker said...

Beth, your big YA day is coming. Readers LOVE you! We just need to get you a bookstore display!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP