Always The Days Keep Passing

Sunday, November 29, 2009

We spent five minutes sitting together in morning silence before we threw my son's things into the back of the jeep and set off for the city, where the bus that would return him to his school hover-hummed. There is never enough time when my son is home. There is always, when he is near, tremendous calm. He hasn't an ounce of the self-trumpeting about him. No need to command the stage. I can't decide what I love most about him, but this is high on the list.

I spent the day, then, thinking out loud with a friend about her dreams and, on either side of that, in the company of my students' last big papers. They have traveled so far, these writers. They have made room, in their minds and hearts, for a larger conversation about life and language, about this one word, vulnerability.

I may be very tired tonight. I may indeed be getting older. But look at the size and shape of my life. This is the feeling of fullness.

8 comments:

Amy said...

Whenever you share you get right to heart of it. :) Beautifully written and thanks for reminding me of things that matter.

Maya Ganesan said...

Beautiful post as always. The last line is so nice.

Anonymous said...

Love the last line, although it was all beautifully written.

bermudaonion said...

What a lovely post. It's hard, yet gratifying, to see our babies spread their wings and fly.

Anonymous said...

Lovely--life should always be like this.

septembermom said...

You write emotions with ease. Thank you.

woman who roars said...

I don't think many people enjoy the fullness of their lives the way you do. Or express it in such an accesible way. Ty.

Kelly H-Y said...

What a beautiful post. Your son sounds so wonderful ... you raised him well.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP