The Philadelphia Inquirer Review of Nothing but Ghosts

Saturday, November 21, 2009

I have to admit that I did not see this coming. There I was at the gym, at Teresa's Body Pump, aching (and I mean aching) between the shoulder rotation and abs, wondering how in the world that Teresa can sing—sing!—while we're all lifting that bar again and again, while we are all shaking and trembling, when I saw my phone blinking. It was a note from my friend Lynn Levin, congratulating me for a review of Nothing but Ghosts, in today's Philadelphia Inquirer.

I pretty much figured that the work-out had gotten to me, that I was seeing things.

But no. In fact, Katie Haegele, who writes such tremendous reviews of young adult books, had included Ghosts in her fall YA round up, along with titles like I Can't Keep My Own Secrets, Murder at Midnight, and Pop.

This is what she says. This is why I am so happy right now, while I type up this post. I can't help it. Ghosts, which like all my books celebrates this community in which I live, has been noticed in my own hometown. It has been seen.

Nothing But Ghosts
By Beth Kephart

Harper Teen. 288 pp. $17.99

Well, this is a treat. Beth Kephart, whose memoir A Slant of Sun was a National Book Award finalist, has written another one of her beautiful YA novels - this one set locally, with references to the Devon Horse Show and little kids in Phillies T-shirts. And ghosts. Katie lives with her father, an eccentric art restorer, in a big and otherwise empty house; her mother has just died, and Katie, only 16, throws herself into busyness to cope. She takes a summer job working with the grounds crew on an unusual building project at the estate of a reclusive heiress whom no one in town has laid eyes on for years, and soon finds herself preoccupied with the woman's secrets. The lovely things in these characters' lives - pebble gardens and groves of apple trees, an old painting of "a metropolis" that her father restores (or, as he says, "resolves") late at night in his studio-shed, an honest-to-goodness riddle-filled mystery - are like something from a dream, but Kephart's writing isn't what you'd call dreamy, poetic as it is. It's solid and serviceable, beautiful in its well-madeness like an antique chair.

14 comments:

Priya said...

Congratulations! You definitely deserve it.

bermudaonion said...

I'm not surprised since the book is fantastic!

Hull.Margaret said...

Congratulations. I have it on my list to read...soon. You are such a great Author...wordsmith, I know I will like it too.
Penny

Sherry said...

BETH!! I love this - every bit of it: The hometown, the review, the how you received it. Thank you for sharing it all.

Did I say YAAAAAAAY!!!?

Julie P. said...

YAY! This is so terrific!!!!

Beth F said...

Wow. Congratulations. So pleased that the Inquirer knew which were the best of the best.

Maya Ganesan said...

Congrats! NBG is fantastic, so it's no wonder she loved it so much. :) You are entirely deserving of that review.

woman who roars said...

yeah! community recognition is tops! so happy for you!

septembermom said...

Congrats! Wonderful review :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!!

Becca said...

I can see you smiling from ear to ear! Congratulations :)

Melissa said...

I completely missed this in the paper (my excuse: too much company this weekend) so thank you for sharing this with us! Congrats!

Vivian Mahoney said...

This makes me so happy, especially since you know how I loved NBG! Congrats!

Serena said...

Congrats. I wanted to leave you my link for my review of this book as well: http://www.savvyverseandwit.com/2009/11/nothing-but-ghosts-by-beth-kephart.html

If you'd like to do a D.C. Literature Examiner review, let me know by emailing me here:

savvyverseandwit AT gmail DOT com

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP