Books Beneath Trees

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I buy books en masse each year for Christmas, and this year was no different. And because no one for whom I buy my books actually reads this blog, I feel safe in divulging some of my now-wrapped presents.

Here we go:

For a certain dancer with a talent in the kitchen: Clean Food: A Seasonal Guide to Eating Close to the Source. For a southern California writer: Lit: A Memoir. For a nephew who isn't just an extraordinary swimmer, but also one heck of a fisherman, the gorgeously illustrated FISH: 77 Great Fish of North America. For a niece who is off to college in a year or so, pursuing her passion in science (and likely physics): The Age of Wonder: How the Romantic Generation Discovered the Beauty and Terror of Science. For my dad, a former chief executive and still active consultant who yesterday brought me the loveliest planted gift (but more on that later): Lords of Finance: The Bankers Who Broke the World. For my artist husband now working in new media: ZBrush Character Creation, Mastering Maya, and Ghostly Ruins. For my son, firmly ensconced in the advertising world: Read Me: A Century of Classic American Book Advertisements and Creative Advertising.

Finally, should my schedule afford me reading time, I've got Nothing to be Frightened of (Julian Barnes), Half Broke Horses (Jeannette Walls), The Piano Teacher (Janice Y.K. Lee), Something Must Happen (Ned Balbo), Eiffel's Tower (Jill Jonnes), The Perfect Square (Nancy M. Heinzen), and my own great-grandfather's Smoky Mountain Magic (Horace Kephart) stacked up near.

7 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I love to buy books for gifts too! While I'm in the bookstore, something for me invariably follows me home, too.

kristen spina said...

I love this--how much the titles seem to match the recipient's interest. I am headed to the bookstore myself today, now armed with a new resolve to dig just a little deeper through the shelves in hopes of finding the perfect match!

Children of the 90s said...

I love going to the bookstore and picking out gifts, there always seems to be something for everyone. Your own list sounds great, too!

Anonymous said...

Books are the best presents. This year for Hanukah, my kids just wanted books and I was happy to oblige!

septembermom said...

My favorite present to receive or give: gift card to a book store. Now how come no matter how many times I hint to hubby, he just doesn't seem to get it? LOL.

Kelly H-Y said...

Wow ... THE perfect gift for each personality! And, how fun that you will get to read a book by your great-grandfather!

Unknown said...

My family and friends have gotten used to the fact that packages from me always contain books. Almost all of them look forward to it. :)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP