My Mother's Brownies

Friday, January 1, 2010

My father gave me my mother's recipe book when she passed away. It wasn't her only recipe book—not by a long shot—but it was the three-ring vinyl notebook she'd assembled: cut-outs from magazines, handwritten instructions to self, note cards with which she helped my brother memorize multiplication tables in between the stirring and testing and waiting. Water has since washed away much of the ink, as have oil splots and tracks of dark chocolate, and so it's only by experimenting that I can estimate measurements or temperatures; nothing ever turns out quite the same. But when something emerges reminiscent of her, I christen it My Mother's xxxx. Making these My Mother's Brownies, as finally perfected a few days ago.

12 comments:

septembermom said...

What another beautiful way to connect with your mom. In the kitchen, her lovely spirit will also be with you as you make her amazing brownies. Wonderful post Beth.

Happy New Year!!!

bermudaonion said...

What a treasure you own! Happy New Year!

Liviania said...

I'm collecting my mom's and my grandmother's recipes now, while we can still cook together. Many of my family's recipes do not have exact recipes. You have to watch the items made to learn what they mean by "a smidgeon" or "a decent chunk of butter."

Julie P. said...

That's terrific! My husband has a similar story with his grandmother's fudge. It took him years to get it right, but now he makes it perfectly every Christmas!

Priya said...

Those look so good!

Maya Ganesan said...

Maybe nothing ever turns out the same, but I'm sure it turns out just as beautifully because you're making it.

MaureenHume said...

What a treasure you have. Few things are as intimate as a mother's cookbook.

lib said...

What a wonderful cook she was....what a wonderful treasure in her recipe books.

Anonymous said...

That's a gift to have, not only the recipe book but the memories. It reminds me that we have to start on multiplication tables again. School Monday...

Unknown said...

Your mom's recipe books sounds wonderful. And it must be so much fun to experiment until you get it right.

Vivian Mahoney said...

There's nothing better than being able to recreate a loved one's presence and special memories. We're still trying to figure out my mother-in-law's apple pie recipe, which is the best ever. I can't wait to see the look of contentment on my husband's face when the right explosion of flavors brings his mum back to him.

Hugs.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Beth...what a lovely post with thoughts about your mom. My mom passed away 22 years ago, and the only thing I have with her handwriting are her recipe cards. I find them very comforting to look at and occasionally to try a recipe. Most recently it was her Pistachio Cake which was yummy.

Keep up all the great posts.

BTW...nothing worse than a windy winter day in NYC (unless it's that weather in Chicago)..LOL

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP