Are you a writer?

Friday, February 5, 2010

These words appear toward the end of Charles McGrath's recent NYT profile of Don DeLillo:

Mr. DeLillo is 73 now and considers himself a late bloomer. He didn’t publish his first novel until he was 35, after quitting a job in advertising and after what he calls “a golden age of reading,” in which he would “consume fiction as if it were breakfast cereal.”

Asked why his first book took him so long, he answered: “I don’t have any explanation for that. All I know is that one day I said to myself, ‘I think I’m a writer.’ I started making sentences I didn’t know I was capable of.”

I think I'm a writer.....

I am reminded of a certain correspondence that sprung from a certain 1996 Bread Loaf Writers' Conference, to which I'd gone at the invitation of Jayne Anne Phillips, whom I'd come to know the year before in Prague. I met Brooks Hansen, the extraordinarily imaginative, genre-hopping author of such books as The Brotherhood of Joseph, The Chess Garden, The Monsters of St. Helena, John the Baptizer, and Caesar's Antlers, at Bread Loaf. We exchanged a few notes afterward, and in one, Brooks—perhaps inadvertently—shifted the way I thought of myself, insisting that it wasn't what one had published that rendered one a writer. It was what one could do with words.

Not a writer yet, is what I had thought of myself up until then, for I only had short story and essay publication to my name, no book. Becoming a writer, is what I began to understand—a category that I continue to slot myself into today: still becoming.

For how boring it would be, how anti-climactic, to have already arrived.

NOTE on the photo: I took this photograph in Vicenza in 2005, in Palladio's Teatro Olimpico.

10 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Oh, I think you've definitely arrived!

Beth F said...

To me it's almost always the journey, not the destination.

Kurt said...

What a great picture? What can you say about it?

kristen spina said...

Great post. Thank you, Beth. It is the journey, always, isn't it?

reiko said...

Not boring at all when you've arrived. That is when you find yourself standing at the edge of the forest, and your job is to make a path. To go in there and make a path that no one has walked, but maybe some will be able to follow, and they will make their own paths when they reach the end of yours, and yours will intersect with others' like Brooks' along the way... Your paths are beautiful, Beth, and glorious to walk.

Julia said...

You're definitely a writer. Ask the person who nominated you for the National Book Award. :)

Sage Ravenwood said...

Smiling. So very wise words. I'm beginning to have faith in myself as a writer and looking forward to the journey. No, the path won't always be smooth sailing. That in itself I'm left to believe, is what gives a writer's heart its sense of adventure.

Beautiful enchanting words. For everything - Thank you! (Hugs)Indigo

Vivian Mahoney said...

I love how you continually study and work on your craft. Thank you for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

I love that idea--becoming, not arriving. It's so peaceful. (As an aside, I do not consider 35 late blooming!)

Liviania said...

I love the picture you choose to illustrate this post - beautiful composition.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP