Finding Romance at the Mall

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Late yesterday afternoon I made my way out, to the mall. I was not original in my plan. You would have thought it was Black Friday. Or two days before Christmas.

It was Valentine's Day Eve. It was also post-blizzard. The lines at the registers were epic. I persevered. I have been wearing the same things (in fabulously creative mixes and matches, but nonetheless, the very same things) for quite the long time now, and besides, I had a gift or two to buy. I'm not big on shopping, and I was never very good at standing in line, but yesterday I had no choice.

So I paid attention. I watched men buying their gifts for their women. I watched mothers and daughters. I watched friends out on a spree.

But it was this one couple that made me stop. Middle aged, for sure, both tall and perhaps not so recently at any gym. She was trying clothes on. He was gushing his praise, suggesting a jacket for the skirt, a belt for the dress, a pair of earrings. There was so much love and, it seemed, genuine adoration in the air that soon I was swept up in the happiness of it, and soon I was complimenting their taste (which was exquisite) and soon they were suggesting a dress for me, predicting a best size.

Wherever I went, then, in the mall, they were there—their arms thrown around each other, their bags dangling from their shoulders. "Hey," they would say, and update me on their travels, and I would update them on mine. And always and forever he couldn't take his eyes off of her. And she could not stop being grateful.

I love that kind of love.

Happy Valentine's Day to all of you, my blogging friends.

11 comments:

woman who roars said...

Happy Valentine's Day! You are my hero for braving the mall - I couldn't have done it.

kristen spina said...

What a wonderful story! Happy valentine's day to you too, Beth... I hope you have a wonderful day.

Beth F said...

What a love(ly) story!

Happy day to you!

bermudaonion said...

That really is one of the best kinds of love, isn't it. I hope you have a wonderful day with people you love today.

Unspoken said...

Happy Valentine's Day. I love seeing people who are in love, too!

Priya said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

Anna Lefler said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you, too!

AND - I finally figured out how to "follow" your blog (there's a button at the very, very top of your page that's been invisible to me till today)!

Huzzah!

XO

A.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a wonderful experience. Happy Valentine's Day to you!

Sage Ravenwood said...

I love stories like that. It's seeing love in someone's eyes, the lool on thier face, the attention they give - all small tokens of so much more. Wishing you a day filled with love and beauty dear friend. (Hugs)Indigo

Amy said...

I love this story! And sadly I wish I had this kind of love....;P

Julia said...

That's sweet.

Happy Valentine's Day to you!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP