Show me a little tenderness

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sometimes, all the elements of a novel you've been writing seem to be in place (voice (not just the characters' voices, but the novel's).check; character motivation.check; momentum and suspense.check; leitmotifs if you're into leitmotifs.check; etc.) and you say to yourself: There it is.

Then you look back and you realize that the novel's been lacking something that doesn't get taught, and perhaps isn't even always valued, but it matters a whole lot to you. I might use the word "tenderness" to describe this thing. The heart blurring the boundaries around the head.

You can't write tenderness while sitting at your computer when (even on a Sunday) client work is rolling in. You have to walk away, into silence.

7 comments:

Amy said...

That makes sense to me. I hope you find the tenderness to give your novel.

Sage Ravenwood said...

I've found it difficult to write with emotion and substance when my head is in turmoil. In those moments I write the adversity out in a separate storyline. But you're right sometimes you have to quiet your mind and gather the silence about you to feel with the depth required. (Hugs)Indigo

Julia said...

What a great concept. I'll have to take that advice...

Beth F said...

Totally understandable -- there is little tenderness left to give when the mind is being pulled away by clients.

KFP said...

Beth: You just put your finger on what I have always loved about all your books, but never articulated so precisely. They always have tenderness. It is so much a part of the beauty of them. I'm sure this one will have tenderness, also. If it isn't there already, you will find the way to put it in. Like you said, you just need the time. I know you will find that, too. You always do. It's just so hard to have to wait, isn't it?--KFP

reiko rizzuto said...

Oh course, I think it IS there. But I hope you find the tenderness you need for yourself.

Anonymous said...

Yes--and I know you'll get that stillness in time.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP