Pressure Cooker

Friday, February 12, 2010

Honestly, it can happen. The pressure of 17 concurrent client projects (so many moving parts, so many open computer files, so many business languages and discrete technicalities). The yearning for time not just to dream about a novel, but to write it. The phone, that rings and rings.

You need to get away. You need to drive.

Yesterday, toward sunset, I said, Please. Please can we get the one car with the bigger wheels going? Can we disappear, for just an hour, to horse country?

We did.

I still woke up with a choke in my throat. But I began yesterday with a walk and ended it with a drive. And that is something.

6 comments:

Sage Ravenwood said...

Your someone after my own heart. Paul and I spend most summers on day trips discovering places we never knew existed. There is something in me that comes alive as the car rises higher and higher into the mountains. The less traveled the road, the more I yearn to explore. It was one of the deciding factors for us getting 4 wheel drive on our latest car. (Hugs)Indigo

Julia said...

You just have to get out of the house, sometimes. :)

Ravenous Reader said...

It is sometimes necessary to leave it all behind, and I'm happy you were able to forge a path toward peacefulness.

Anonymous said...

Oh that does sound like too much pressure. I'm glad you got your drive.

Beth F said...

Beautiful shot. I should find the time to do the same. This is the insane period in the book editing world -- I'm working everyday. Can't wait until late spring; but I do love my job anyway.

woman who roars said...

Cabin fever is a special gift Philly usually gives us during our 95 degree, 90% humidity summer days ~ and these rare winters when we get real snow!
At least it is pretty.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP