Standing up beyond the critique

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sometimes (it's intermittent), American Idol is on in this house; a few weeks ago, while photographing that precarious icicle, I walked by the screen and snapped this photo. It's Simon, obviously, disagreeing with Ellen, while a singer who has just left her heart on the stage awaits some kind of verdict: Is she good? Does she have a future as an artist? Should she defer her dream, or hold on?

Who is the expert? Whose voice matters? To whom do we-who-are-striving listen to? These are age-old questions, and every artist faces them; each of us, no matter how experienced, wonders. Because while, in some ways, artists are defined by the work they've already done, most artists I know hold that the work they're doing now is the work that counts the most.

And yet: Artists are not going to please everyone. Artists don't have that power. Gangbusters action or poetry. Conservative or risky. Over-the-top hysterical or rather straight-up. The occult or contemporary realism. Life issues or gossip. Right now or in the future. Easy reading or a deliberate tangle. You can have some, but I can't think of a single book that contains them all, and because this is so, it is a tricky business to calculate: What counts the most, and will my work be among the counted?

I wouldn't want to live in a world in which every opinion is the same. I wouldn't want to be operating inside a single standard. I doubt that you would, either. So that what I've learned, in my dozen years of publishing books, is that knowing who you are, as an artist, counts for a whole lot, and locating those voices who can help you do better work—who ask questions you respect, who judge a book not by a pre-established coda but by its own ambitions, who care about artistry, if you, too, care about artistry, or who are experts at action, if that's your thing—counts for a whole lot, too.

You can't please the world. You can always get better.

9 comments:

Amy said...

wise words, Beth.

Sarah Allen said...

I needed this so badly. Even outside of writing, I am just so that type of person who freaks out when anyone has an issue with them. But you're right, we just have to do our thing and try and help and inspire as many people as we can. Thanks for this!

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Anonymous said...

Well said, Beth.

Anna Lefler said...

Someone told me the other day that when someone says something lousy to you, you have to ask yourself, "Are they speaking *my* truth? Or theirs?"

If they're not speaking your truth - words of value to be weighed, considered and perhaps implemented - then you have to say "piffle" and keep movin'.

XO

A.

holly cupala said...

Exactly, Beth! You are an artist, a person, of great integrity, wisdom, and value. If I were to critique those qualities, I would give you an A+.

Sherrie Petersen said...

Excellent thoughts! I need to send this to a friend who has been struggling with how to take critiques.

Becca said...

"Knowing who you are as an artist" is definitely the key, whether the art in question is music or writing or painting. There will be an audience for those who remain true to their authentic voice and the message or lyric they want to tell.

Sarah Stevenson said...

I love this. It makes me think in particular of musicians, whose concert audiences always clamor to hear their beloved old favorites, while the artists want to share their new songs that they're excited about (which leaves many concert-goers disgruntled). I suppose it's true of other types of artists, too!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP