Win a copy of The Heart is Not a Size

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Yesterday, Ruta Rimas, who has been seeing The Heart is Not a Size through its pre-publishing days at HarperTeen, wrote to say that an early copy of the hardback has arrived at her office.

Contest, I thought.

And so here is a question for any of you who might like to win a copy: Where in the world do you hope to go next, and why? Leave your answer in the comments section here, and I'll choose a name at random by March 10th.

Heart, for its part, takes place partly in Juarez, a place I visited in 2005. Here's a scene from the novel:

Despite the sun and the uptilting slope of the hill, these kids didn’t walk.
Even the brother who was carrying his baby sister never slowed for a second, his body bent forward at the waist. There were brothers who came with brothers and clusters of girls and those who came from what must have been east by themselves, all of them dressed in parakeet colors, and I remember a pair of shining patent leathers, throwing the sun back up to the sun. I remember taking that photograph. Sun like bleach, like stain.

Riley’s sapphire eyes were platters; for one bright instant they turned and took the me behind my camera in—took me in, and I snapped that portrait.
The loose hair at the back of Sophie’s neck corked, anticipated, seemed ready to flee, but it was Drake who went to tell Mack, and Mack who brought Roberto, and Roberto who called out to the children by name, waving them up the hill faster. The first to reach the top of the hill was a pair of brothers with bright blue eyes and red paisley bandanas that tied back their thick, black hair. Some buttons on their shirts were missing. Their pants were light and loose. When they got to where we were they hung their heads a little bit, but that didn’t disguise their smiles.

The others were right on their heels.
A boy in a strawberry-colored sleeveless shirt who had lost his front teeth. The girl with the black patent shoes. Several children—both boys and girls—wearing the same red paisley as the bandana boys. There were streaming colors in the hair of the girls—crimson bows and silver strings, wide navy blue bands striped with mango—and I kept thinking how much those kids must have been loved, how beautiful they’d been made by their mothers before they’d left their shacks and gone into the streets and trusted us to receive them. I thought that, and I took photographs. Portrait after portrait, and then again I turned the camera to Riley’s face, as she stood there in the circle of children, as she reached her hands toward them.

15 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

So many places! My next destinations are Bologna, Italy and NYC for book fairs, but I may be going to Senegal and Kuwait to visit friends who are in the Foreign Service this fall.

Bidisha said...

Yay, thanks for the contest!

I'd love to go to Greece for the summer, simply 'cause I want a holiday to unwind XD

bermudaonion said...

A better question might be where don't I want to go? There are so many places I'd like to visit, so it's hard to narrow it down to just one. I'll say somewhere in Asia, because I like to experience cultures that are different than ours.

wordlily said...

I'd love to visit Asia (well, China in particular) next, because I've long been fascinated by it. http://wordlily.com

Melissa Sarno said...

I'd like to visit Japan. When I was 10 years old I had a school assignment to learn about a country by planning a pretend trip there. I want to take that trip I imagined back then :-) Thanks for this give-away.

Kelly H-Y said...

Everywhere! :-) Actually ... a few years ago, my hubby and I each shared what we wanted to do when we turned 40, and my wish was to head back to Italy ... specifically Tuscany, so I'll stick with that and hope it happens sometime in 2011! :-)

pink dogwood said...

I want to stay right here and hope to go to a simpler life and to experience contentment - I am hoping yoga and meditation can do that for me. Well, if I were to pick a place - I would like to go under the Tuscan sun - been wanting to ever since I read the book several years ago.

Unknown said...

I'd really like to live in Montana and Alaska. The reason is kind of embarrassing. I read two Nora Roberts books which were set in those states and I fell in love with the states more than I did the characters.

Clara said...

The city that never sleeps...New York.

Unknown said...

Ohh, fun. I love thinking about vacation spots. Here's my top 5: France (again), England/Ireland, Malta, Peru, & Southern US. Even though I live out West, I'm a southern girl at heart and there are so many places that I would love to visit in the South...plantation homes with oak-lined walks, Nashville, Charleston, New Orleans.

Steph Su said...

Realistically, I'm not going anywhere terribly interesting for the next year or so, mostly just shuffling back and forth between school and home, and maybe Taiwan and Japan to visit relatives.

Idealistically, I would love to live a nomadic existence (and invent a machine that could shrink my entire physical-book library into a portable device--and no, not an e-reader) so that I could stay several months or years in all of the places I'd like to try living in: San Francisco, Portland, someplace in Canada, New York, Maine, Nebraska, London, Australia...

Beth Kephart said...

Sarah Unger left a response on Facebook.

Amy said...

in 2001 I turned my back to the Trevi Fountain and tossed a coin in, wishing to return one day with the love of my life. In April, my new husband and I will fly to Italy and explore for 12 days, including a stop at the Trevi fountain (where I will tell him of my wish). Our one-year anniversary will be on a working winery near Sienna. My heart's on tip-toe in anticipation of this desire being filled.

And I am reading C.S.Lewis' A Grief Observed, knowing that loving with a whole heart will mean great pain. I am finding the loving to be worth such a risk.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to go back to Haiti!

Hey, I recommended your book on my blog here: http://www.susanuhlig.com/2010/03/good-books-from-harper-teen.html

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP