Juarez and Secret Angels

Thursday, March 25, 2010

In a March 23rd article in the Christian Science Monitor, Sara Miller Llana wrote of a father named Adrian Cadena whose son was one of the 15 murdered in Juarez in January, while attending a birthday party. Adrian's son had hoped to play soccer, Llana writes, in college. Today his dad, living through his grief, "has put his energy into volunteering for the local team, cleaning parks, and raising money through barbecues and carwashes" in an attempt to help those who remain. "There are thousands of boys left behind," the author quotes Mr. Cadena. "We have to focus on the survivors."

Juarez, one of the bloodiest cities in the world, sits opposite El Paso, one of the most peaceful cities in the states. It is home to children like the gorgeous one pictured here. It deserves its cessation from a chaos spawned by warring drug cartels. It deserves our attention.

Today I would like to thank two angels who are helping to spread word about a book I wrote based on a trip I took to Juarez five years ago. The first is Holly Cupala, whose novel (and the early buzz is great), Tell Me a Secret, is due out from HarperCollins in June. She interviewed me about the making of Heart; the conversation is here.

The second person I'd like to thank is the secret agent angel who has set up a Facebook Fan page for Heart. She knows who she is. We'd love you to hop on board so that you'll get early news of coming contests, reviews, and content.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful photo. I am so sorry about Juarez and appreciate your continuing to bring it up.

septembermom said...

It's sad about Suarez. I'm going to link up on FB. That picture is beautiful Beth. Look at the light in her lovely eyes.

LisaSam said...

Hi Beth,
I am looking forward to reading this book. Also wanted to give you this link to a NYT article about reading to kids. The student is at my school but is not in my class.
I just thought you would like it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/21/fashion/21GenB.html
Lisa

bermudaonion said...

I cannot imagine what it's like for children to grow up in a place like that. Thanks for your part in bringing attention to the horrors that go on there.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP