Metamorphosis at the Dance Studio

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I'm going to tell you something: I did not look pretty today. My hair is two weeks past the cut I'd promised it (I'm getting to it, I tell it). My clothes are the ones that aren't in the laundry room (sorry, but that means they are not my favorites). My mascara is tending toward globby.

I did not look pretty today, and yet I went dancing. Oh, poor Jean, I thought, as I went up those stairs. The things that man has to put up with. My chin too low on some rumba moves, my feet not yet always firmly planted, my New Yorker sneaking up on my ronde, and my hair. Never good, but even worse when it is two weeks past a hair cut.

Whatever. I'd worked through perhaps 100 emails, five drafts of different projects, and at least a dozen calls; there just wasn't time to deal with me. And I was about to apologize for it, about to make a bunch of lame excuses, but Jean is my good friend Jean. Jean, I realized today, is the kind of friend and dance instructor who can laugh with me despite how I look and not make me feel too flat-out unattractive to dance a cha-cha or a salsa.

That's friendship.

7 comments:

Anna Lefler said...

I think your hair looks really good. I like the new spikey style and those black highlights are very fashion-forward. (You're an Autumn, you lucky girl, you can get away with that palette.)

And don't you just love having a wash-and-go cut?

;-) A.

woman who roars said...

So I am so out of the loop - wash and go hair. I am jealous!
Sorry to have been an absentee commenter. Been commiting the unforgivable sin of reading posts without commenting.

Holly said...

I'm having an ugly day too.

septembermom said...

I bet you look great dancing the cha cha. Dance is beauty in motion.

Beth, thanks for your prayers and support. It really means the world to me :)

Beverley BevenFlorez said...

I often lurk at your blog, but I thought today I'd let you know how much I enjoy the photographs you post.

Unknown said...

Today is one of those days where your picture says as much as your words. Hope you enjoy your haircut, butterfly. :)

Kelly H-Y said...

I'm certain you looked lovely! I had to chuckle at the 'two weeks past a hair cut' comment, because I'm the same way ... I think it actually starts about a week BEFORE the haircut! :-)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP