Next?

Thursday, April 29, 2010

I read a book each day, again, an old habit made new by a temporary easing of corporate responsibilities.  I search for the what next of my own career.  What genre?  What purpose?  What mood?  Is there a story left that I wish to tell?  Will the story somehow find me?

A few weeks ago, following a Fox Cities Book Festival school assembly, a young Wisconsin boy stood last in a long line, waiting patiently to speak with me.  When it was his turn, he slipped a bookmark into my hand.  I read the words he had written on its back.  They described a young man in a heartrending situation.  His final written words, Would you write this story for me?

Is this your story? I asked him, and the boy nodded yes.


It sounds like a very hard story.

He nodded again.

A story that needs telling.

He nodded again, then looked up at me with large and too dark eyes.

I've been haunted since.

14 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Wow! You have to write that story!

Amy said...

Wow. Do you have his contact informaton? Do you think he asked a bunch of other authors to write it as well? So interesting.

Melissa Sarno said...

That is quite a cliffhanger... I'd like to hear that story. Just the idea of someone reaching out, begging for it to be told breaks my heart. I'm sure you'll know what to do with it...

Julie P. said...

Wow. I have a feeling that he entered your life for a reason. Now, to find out what the reason is....

Julia said...

What a cliffhanger. The meeting itself could be a story of its own.

Unknown said...

wow. This is a story in and of itself.

Kelly H-Y said...

Oh my goodness ... I had shivers throughout my body just reading your words. I hope you are able to write his story ... and, I hope he is OK. You made an impact on him ... that is special.

Becca said...

I have chills just thinking about it.

Maya Ganesan said...

My goodness, I hope you write that story...please. Although I don't know it, I know it's for sure a story that needs to be told and published and shared.

Vivian Mahoney said...

Oh, Beth! This is quite a responsibility and an honor--for this boy to choose you, for the power of your words, for the way you make your MC's voice heard--I hope you write the story. Hugs.

Laurie Schneider said...

My heart aches for this guy. As writers, we're instructed to brush people off, to tell them to write their own stories...but sometimes, sometimes....

Laurie Schneider said...

My heart aches for this guy. As writers, we're instructed to brush people off, to tell them to write their own stories...but sometimes, sometimes....

Unknown said...

This sounds fascinating. And how wonderful that he trusted you with his story.

grete said...

Beth -

Yet he must tell that story himself. No other way. No other way...... But perhaps he can follow in your footsteps?

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP