Reading Dangerous Neighbors, as a book, book

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Yesterday I sat down for the first time and read Dangerous Neighbors, cover to cover, inside its covers. I remembered, as I read, the many iterations this book went through. Three voices had, at first, told this story, and one of those voices was a fire. Countless Centennial scenes were painstakingly researched and written and then excised, so that the story might move at a more rapid pace. 1876 Cape May once had a cameo role; now it reveals itself across pages. The young man named William, who rescues lost animals for a living, evolved from a bit player into a major protagonist, and into the character I've most enjoyed writing.

Writers are supposed to know what they are doing. I rarely have. I have felt an impulse. I have submerged myself in research. I have written lines until I've heard a voice. And then I have found my way until I can no longer find my way, until other readers—Amy Rennert, my agent, and Laura Geringer, my editor, among them—say stop, look at this, consider that.

The bookmarks are here...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't yet re-read my books. I'd like to do that someday. In the meantime I also remember the cuts, and at the same time, I'm astonished sometimes when I do readings because a passage I'd forgotten writing comes to me fresh.

Unknown said...

Your posts about writing are some of my favorite. It's so interesting to hear how everything comes together.

Julie P. said...

How exciting! The bookmarks are beautiful!

bermudaonion said...

This is so fantastic! I can't wait to get my bookmark!

Sarah Anne said...

"Writers are supposed to know what they are doing."

Since when? 'Cause if so, I'm in trouble. ;)

Sarah Stevenson said...

I'm never sure what I'm doing! It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one. :)

The bookmarks look gorgeous!!

Holly said...

yes! you can tell that William is the one you like best!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP