Love Her

Thursday, April 8, 2010

I found her at Chanticleer, and of course I fell in love (yes, yes, it's true: on a daily basis I fall harmlessly in love). She was afraid of nothing (you see that in her eyes, and in the cock of her inventive hat). She was willing to trust the warming weather. She opened her hand as if to say, Let me show you the way, and when I saw her next, down by the big pond, she was delineating the orange-backed koi from the blue. Knowledgeably, with stylish forewarning.

Last night, a young friend wrote to ask if I am sometimes afraid for the young women in this world. Perhaps you are, perhaps you should be, my friend wrote, but then she went on to tell a late-night story, offering it as a salve, "in case you were worrying."

I worry. All the time, I worry. And I am redeemed, every day, by brave young souls.

8 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I can see why you fell in love with her - she's adorable. I think it's natural to worry about the future.

Crystal Fields said...

Beautiful!

There is always beauty behind the fog. The scary part is searching through all the chaos to find it.

I believe if everyone would open their hearts to the world, we could all fall in love, and no one would ever be alone again... If only.

Kelly H-Y said...

That is definitely an adorable brave, young soul! I love little ones' sense of wonder and excitement.

grete said...

Beth -

I just visited your friend Katrina Kenison’s blog and left a message. She opens her book, The Gift of an Ordinary Day, with this quote by John Tarrant: “Every step in the dark turns out, in the end, to have been on course after all.”

This quote, surely, is a gift to all of us who worry. And then we are redeemed, also, every day, by brave young souls. So true.

And I see, clearly, why you fell in love....

Grete

Anonymous said...

Me too--you said it so well.

Maya Ganesan said...

She has a beautiful purity in her face - it's nothing short of redeeming, for sure.

You will worry about the future, as everyone else will, but everything will be okay in the end...that's the one guarantee we have, I guess. :)

septembermom said...

She's adorable. She is an example of the brightness of the future.

Holly said...

at home I fell in love not every day, but just about every time I rode the streetcar.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP