Where the student shines

Friday, May 21, 2010

Regular readers of this blog took a journey with me last fall as I made my way through my first semester at the University of Pennsylvania—not as a student, but as a teacher.  This past week has been full of the sweet dividends such teaching can yield (the students return, they inspire, they even get married), and last night I was gifted once again with the chance to read with Miss Kimberly Eisler, who worked through essay, memoir, interview, profile, and literary reportage with me in my Advanced Nonfiction class.  Joined by her parents, her grandparents, and her boyfriend at a remarkable salon gathering at a Park Avenue penthouse, Kim read her untitled poems; she made us think and laugh.

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

How wonderful! I love the background of the photo!

Melissa Sarno said...

You are making me miss some of my writing teachers :-) That's great you got to share that experience with her.

Sara said...

The relationship between writing teacher and student must be stronger than any other teacher/pupil relationship since creative writing is so personal. Very special.

Lovely post, lovely picture.

Sherrie Petersen said...

I've been having fun as a substitute teacher the last couple days. Makes me want to teach for real so that I can work more closely with the kids and really see them grow and develop.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP