Dizzy

Tuesday, July 6, 2010


As much as I love the architecture of boats and the idea of float, I have a terrible time staying right upon a watery vessel.  "Keep your eyes on the horizon," my husband says, but by then, I'm already done in for, already looking for an out.  There are none.  I'm reminded of that every single time.  "Julia," I told my niece, not turning my head, not lifting my eyes, "I am not being rude when I talk with you like this, but can I ask you for a favor?"

"Yes?"

"Tell me when you see land."

She nodded her red-blonde head (my periphery vision told me).  She squinted (I could feel her focus intensify).

"Now?" I asked.

"Not now," she said.

"Closer?" I asked.

"Maybe."

"Remember your land-spotting job," I told her, and she did.  It's just that it seemed to take forever.

6 comments:

Melissa Sarno said...

Whenever I go on a boat, even if it's only for a short period of time, the feeling that I'm on it stays for hours afterwards. I always feel dizzy and out of sorts for the rest of the day. I'll sleep thinking I'm rocking in the waves. Funny how that happens...

Liviania said...

I've never been affected by boats, unless I lean over the side and stare at the waves. It's good that you had someone who could spot land for you!

Maya Ganesan said...

I quite like boats, actually; I don't think I get seasick or dizzy, but it's more of the fact that we're sailing on the ocean or a lake that makes me more uncomfortable, since I have an irrational fear of fish and all other marine creatures. But you're not alone in your boat-riding uneasiness, rest assured; I know plenty of people who have similar issues. ;)

Kelly H-Y said...

Oh my goodness ... I loved how you conveyed this via the conversation with your niece! I can just picture it! I'm the same way in the car ... oh my, if I'm not driving, it's just not good!

Becca said...

I have a difficult time on boats too, although I dearly love being on the water.

septembermom said...

I always wanted to ride on a fishing boat or some great water vessel. I guess this romantic notion came from my days of reading Moby Dick. Not that I want to bump into that big guy! LOL.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP