Things don't always fall apart

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

As anyone who might have read my second memoir, Into the Tangle of Friendship, knows, I don't have the best relationship with my mouth.  Just about anything that could be wrong with it is (I'm talking about structure and soft tissue now, and not verbal emanations; there's much wrong with that as well).  And so, through the years, I've had small surgeries and big ones, I've had jaw bones bolted to jaw bones, I've had the mouth wired shut for weeks on end, I've had a root canal gone desperately wrong (a shattered tooth, a pain killer to which I had a nightmarish reaction), I've had gum grafts that have made me feel and look like a flying UFO. 

It's just my mouth.  It is not life-threatening.  People face far far worse things every single day—many people.  But still.  I woke up this morning and didn't feel like going to the periodontist who is perfectly nice and tres talented (his nephew is also high up on Obama's team, so he tells good stories).  I didn't feel like it.

Here's what happened to make the day sweet anyway.  My son woke up and said the kindest thing.  My husband offered to make me a late-night brown cow (something to savor while watching So You Think You Can Dance).  Matthew Quick sent along these generous words about The Heart is not a Size.  I heard from friends (I love my friends).  And.... the yellow finch that banged on my office window for months following the passing of my mother, the finch that launched Nothing but Ghosts (or its near cousin), started banging again the very instant I arrived following this morning of surgery and stitches.  It had not banged for months and months and months.  But here it was again—another message, I suspect, from my mother.

Life is good.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad there was comfort for you. It may not be life threatening, but misery isn't always a matter of life and death. It's still misery. So it's wonderful that you can focus on all those good things.

Melissa said...

Glad you were able to get some comfort, too.

Teeth woes seems to be another thing we have in common, my friend. I'm off to a new dentist tomorrow and will think of this post.

Sarah Stevenson said...

What Lillian said. I admire your ability to keep the good things in view, despite everything, and hope that your discomfort eases soon.

Becca said...

I'm glad you found some good things in the midst of what sounds like a miserable experience.

Feel better :)

Beth F said...

I have shivers ... (from your finch). Heal quickly.

pink dogwood said...

feel better - that is so cool about the bird :)

Kelly H-Y said...

Oh, ouch! You would never know you've gone through so much on your poor mouth ... I just shivered at the thought of all the surgeries and how they must feel. I hope you are healing well, once again. And what wonderful family and friends you have ... and, that finch is special too! :-)

Unknown said...

Ohhh, dentist's visits make me nervous. I hope all is well now!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP