The day comes

Thursday, August 26, 2010

and there's nothing we can do but understand that the boy, not really any longer a boy, must pack his things and return to school.

So that the hallway is now a tower of boxes hallway.  And the shirts have been washed and steamed.  And the last batch of summer cookies is cooling on the racks.  And my heart sits somewhere near my chin.

This is the ritual of the season, and when I saw one of my very best friends at a store today and she turned and I looked into her eyes, I knew that she, too, is deep in this season of goodbyes.  And when I hear from my friends, from all across the country, I recognize the melancholy in their voices.  You hold your breath your entire parenting life, wanting the child to be happy.  And then he is, and then he is gone, and you are where he was, older and unable to hold the image still. 

4 comments:

Cheryl Cato said...

Heart-breakingly sweet.

Julia said...

That picture is oh-so-breathtakingly beautiful.

and, this is so bittersweet; things flit between being there and not, then they leave you alone even though they're happy, and you should be too, but it hurts just a little. when you let out your breath you find out that you've become so,so used to holding it in and that you'd rather have that familiar sensation back.

Becca said...

I know this feeling so well, and your words brought it all back. It's so bittersweet, watching them grow.

You will always have a wonderful relationship with your boy - this I know. There are many good things ahead for him, and you're going to enjoy sharing them.

Anonymous said...

Letting go is hard--I'm looking to you as a model for them.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP