The summer of laundry

Saturday, August 21, 2010

I shall call this the Summer of Laundry, a many-week sweep during which my son, over the course of his every day, would trade his gym shirt for his work shirt for his hanging out shirt for his going out shirt, and in between all that, the rest of the house was very hot and very sweaty. Every other day, there were piles, and with a one-handed husband (the cast comes off in a week; the therapy shall begin; the healing, this time, will take time) and a son rarely home, the piles of things were left entirely to me.

Here are the things one can do while also doing laundry:  Test a dialogue sequence in one's head.  Try to recall the outlines of last night's dream.  Blithely ignore the bad news on the other room's TV screen.  Watch the spider nimble across the ceiling.  Make up words and speak them out loud, since there's no one near to listen.

Here's what not to do:  Count the days until one's son will be gone.  That's heartbreaking business, and one can't possibly bear it, laundry and all.

3 comments:

Cynthia Pittmann said...

Not Fun, Laundry Days with Beth...another memoir? Actually, if you make up words and speak your dreams out loud, it could be fun to listen!

I know what you mean about missing your son, my girl leaves for college in three days! It's in an entire other country. I can't get into the car and rescue her if she needs me. It's hard to adjust- I just have to trust life.

I hope your husband's hand heals soon. Remember I told you that I had to go through hand surgery after a car accident? Both hands are here with me typing away. All better!

melanie said...

So often we don't realize how much we depend on our body to work! I hope your husband's recovery moves along quickly.
I must say, that is the prettiest picture of a washing machine...particularly with the pictures reflected in the door/laundry porthole.

Anonymous said...

Great photo! It's sad to think of your son going back to school--even though that is what is supposed to be.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP