Philly Girl

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Though I moved a lot when I was a kid, I always came home to my mother's Philadelphia—its suburbs on the fringe, the University of Pennsylvania campus (as a student), tiny apartments on Camac Street and Gaskill Street, back out to the fringe as a new mother, then in and out, these days, to visit clients or to teach at my alma mater (recently tied for fifth on the U.S. News and World Report university ranking, I was proud and pleased to read the other day). 

I consider myself, in other words, a Philly girl, and so when Jenny Girl took the time to put together this remarkable look back at Philadelphia's Centennial, I felt immediate kinship with her.  I may not like a lot about growing older.  But I do like knowing where home is (and who my neighbors are). 

Thank you, too, to Readergirlz this morning. Their friendship represents another home.

1 comments:

Jenny Girl said...

Awww Beth! I don't know what to say!!! I am almost speechless which is pretty hard to do. Thank you very much and please know you will always have a kindred spirit in me.
I sometimes complain about Philly, because lets face it, it's n ot perfect. But when you really start to scratch the surface, and look underneath, there's no other place like it. Thanks again Beth :)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP