A Break Out Book? A girl can dream

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My husband is of the opinion that an artist (or writer) should simply know when a work is done, or right, and I admire the notion, respect the theory.  But there is also, for me, something peace-giving, something necessary, about a trusted reader's response.  Late yesterday, at the end of an angst-filled many weeks, my agent called to let me know that she had read this wholly rewritten book of mine—this book that began as one kind of adult novel, became an utterly different kind of adult novel, and then, in the fury-heat of this past summer, was rewritten for a different audience and sold on the basis of early July pages to Egmont USA.  I have cared so deeply about this book, believed so thoroughly in it, and yet, to be alone with your own raw book is to be alone with your own raw self, and sometimes the soul seeks ease. 

I now have the ease of Amy Rennert's words to me:  Beth, this is your breakout book.

Perhaps number 13 will be lucky number 13.

I would really like that to be so.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Anxiously awaiting this one and wishing all those wonderful things for you. :)

Amy said...

*fingers crossed* The rest of the world will come to love your books like we do.

Anna Lefler said...

Wahoo - now that's a vote of confidence!

Congratulations!

XO

A.

Melissa Sarno said...

I just got really, really excited. My fingers are crossed that these words come true for you!

Sarah Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Anne said...

I echo the sentiment "fingers crossed"!!

The1stdaughter said...

I'm now on pins and needles! I can't wait to read it, because Beth, I have NO doubt it will be amazing. Congratulations on the wonderful praise!

Susan Taylor Brown said...

I can't wait to hold this new book of yours in my hands. May it be, indeed, lucky 13 for you.

Richard Gilbert said...

Beth,

I just discovered your blog and admire it greatly.

As for revision, sheesh. Tell your husband, "A poem is never finished,only abandoned."—Paul Valery. He sort of got the final word on that subject, I think.

Becca said...

I am SO excited to read this. What a superb endorsement!

Beth F said...

Fingers and toes crossed for you.

Sherrie Petersen said...

Fingers crossed for you, too! I know it's music to a writer's ears to hear words like that :)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP