Radnor High Hall of Fame, Induction Day

Friday, November 5, 2010

Today I'll be inducted into the Radnor High Hall of Fame.

I type those words.  Sit back.  Wonder how that ever came to be.

I spent last evening in the home of Radnor graduates, parents, and administrators who are all working toward giving students the best education that can be gained.  I spent it talking to Nancy Carpenter Barnes, a fellow inductee, a well-known artist, the former president of the Barnes Foundation, and an Emmy-winning producer for public TV.  I'll spend today not just with Nancy, but with Lee Daniels, the film producer and director; John Galloway, the theologian; Christopher Goutman, the award-wining producer, director, and writer; Paul Michel, the federal judge who, among other things, served as an assistant prosecutor in the Watergate trial; Charles Ryan, the investment banker who created Russia's leading investment bank; and Chris Sydnor, the extraordinary athlete and coach.  The Egyptologist Henry George Fischer and the music writer and producer Andy Mark, both sadly deceased, will be remembered as well. 

The inductees will share this moment with the teachers and students of Radnor High, and I will be introduced by the very woman who inspired the smart, encouraging English teacher in my first young adult novel, Undercover.  She could not have been more than 25 back then.  She paired my reading of Juliet with a Romeo reading by my secret crush.  She read between weak, overwritten lines and saw the seeds of a writer.  I'll stand with her today.


There's more about this day here.  There is so much in my heart.  I don't even know who to thank.  But few honors have affected me in the way that today does.  I wish my mother were here to see this.

9 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Congratulations on a well deserved honor.

Sarah Laurence said...

Congratulations! I loved the English teacher in Undercover. How wonderful to hear that she was based on a real person.

Melissa said...

I believe your mother is very much with you today, and always. I didn't have the opportunity to know her, but I have no doubt of the pride she has in you.

Many congratulations to you on this very special occasion!

Wendy Merron said...

Beth, how great it must feel to be acknowledged by your High School. You certainly deserve it.

Have a wonderful day - bask in it and enjoy every moment.

Unknown said...

Congratulations, what a special honor!

KFP said...

So happy for you. I wish your mom were there to see this also but, Beth, she already knew you were great. You are a great tribute to both your wonderful parents.

Anna Lefler said...

Bask in your special day, Beth!!

And I love that photograph.

Cheers and enjoy!

XO

Anna

Steph Su said...

You deserve it, Beth! And I like Radnor for seeing that, and acknowledging that. :D

Becca said...

What a lovely honor - and so well deserved. Your high school must have been a very special place.

I'm really happy and proud for you :)

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP