Farmer's Market, 6 a.m., Christmas Eve

Friday, December 24, 2010



It isn't Christmas unless you join the dawn throngs at the local Farmer's Market, where Andrew, the young man from the vegetable stand, puts your winesaps into a briskly snapped-open bag (while reporting on college), and the lady at the bread stands makes her most honest recommendations (Italian, she suggests, not French), and the purveyors of fish go into the back to retrieve the best of the long black mussels.  I arrived in the dark this morning.  When I opened the doors, the night sky was a brilliant purple pink, a color that would not allow itself to be photographed.

You just had to be there.

5 comments:

Beth F said...

I think I need to move.

Elizabeth Mosier said...

Oh, thank you for this -- it totally made my day! I hope to get over there at some point this afternoon...! xo

Jeannine Atkins said...

What a lovely glimpse into your day. I hope your good ear picks up more tidings of joy. Merry Christmas, Beth.

Florinda said...

Such holiday bounty! Thanks for sharing it, and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours :-).

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP