You Are My Only: in the afterglow of the copyedits

Tuesday, January 11, 2011


You know how it is:  You write a book because it is furied up inside you—molten and untouchable but ineluctable, too.  You are the huntress.  You're after something you don't quite understand, and you're going to win; you're going to conquer; in the process, you're going to get burned.  You're going to make up words and fury nouns and add commas where you shouldn't. You're going to mix metaphors.

(It's like writing a blog, sort of, without the back-up support.)

Thankfully, then, there are agents like Amy Rennert who calm you down, and editors like Laura Geringer who ask questions, and a team like Egmont USA, which stands behind you, relieves you of you.  One of the great gifts, in this process, is the gift of copyediting, which Egmont's Greg Ferguson and Nico Medina handle so well.  This time, additionally, Egmont engaged a certain Hannah to read the pages of YOU ARE MY ONLY (due out next fall), and Hannah made sure, among other things, that I didn't have a certain character deciding to take the day off on the day that was already her day off, and that I didn't have the moon wane too quickly.

I've just now finished reading the book through, and can I say (would it be boasting?) how excited I am?  I can't wait for this one to be on the shelves.  I am so grateful to all of those who are helping it come to pass.

9 comments:

Sarah Laurence said...

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to reading it.

Unknown said...

This is sounding so wonderful! I can't wait to read it.

Anna Lefler said...

Wahoo!

I'm excited along with you!

XO

A.

KFP said...

It sounds like it is going to be the most beautiful of so many beautiful books of yours. I'm excited for you as the author--and excited for us as the readers.

BTW I don't think I got to say here that I love the title: the feel and tone of it. It is attracting--the title alone would make me want to pick it up. So I'm thinking others will feel the same.

Liviania said...

Yay for good copyeditors! I just finished one where a woman took a shower, then took a call (on which she made a date for later that night), then was happy she had time to take a bath.

Anonymous said...

Way to go for you and Hannah!

Ann Hite said...

Ugh, I am supposed to receive my copy edits any time. This is all new to me. You've given me a peek into what I can expect. I can only hope for an experience like yours.

Thanks
Ann

Beth F said...

Yay! So happy to know that you have such a great editorial team behind you.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP