Memoir Fetish (welcoming these new titles to my memoir library)

Friday, February 18, 2011

My appetite for books is insatiable, always, and when I teach, buying and reading memoir is a seamless compulsion.  Every student is on her own course.  Every young writer must be guided to just the right books at the right time.  To a memoir library already teeming, I this week add the following titles:

Devotion, Dani Shapiro

Mentor: A Memoir, Tom Grimes

How to Live:  Or A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at an Answer, Sarah Bakewell (yes, this is a biography, but it is a biography of one of our most iconic early memoirists)

History of a Suicide, Jill Bialosky

The Liars' Club, Mary Karr (I need a new copy)

Moments of Being, Virginia Woolf

House of Prayer No. 2:  A Writer's Journey Home, Mark Richard

Townie:  A Memoir, Andre Dubus III

Duke of Deception:  Memories of My Father, Geoffrey Wolff (hugely ashamed that I have not read this before)

Say Her Name, Francisco Goldman (classified as a novel, much like Dave Eggers classified his own memoirish story as a novel; my reflections on this book were posted two days ago)

6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm making note of these because I love memoirs too.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Please tell us about the picture above!

Beth Kephart said...

Ah, those horses. They come each May and stay for two weeks at the horse show down the road. I do little but photograph them when they are near.

Melissa Sarno said...

Thanks for sharing these titles. Memoir is a genre I don't often read. When I do, I usually have trouble putting it down. So, I want to read more of it.

Florinda said...

I'm currently reading Dani Shapiro's Devotion. There are places when her writing reminds me a little of yours. That's a compliment.

Betty said...

Great list of memoirs. I've added a few to my TBR list. Thanks! I just finished a book called "Major Dream: From Immigrant Housemaid to Harvard Ph.D" by Jin Kyu Robertson Ph.D. It's a very inspiring memoir about living the American Dream. I'd highly recommend it!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP