Bring it on: musings of a slow adopter

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I am what the savvy might term a slow adopter. I tend to like things as they are.  My movies on the big screen.  My books between their covers.  My conversations in person, face to face.

That is not this world.

And if I am less than knowledgeable about Facebook (I am, perhaps, one of its least organized and aware members), have failed to take on Twitter, am not inclined toward Google +, only just yesterday did justice to my LinkedIn profile (how shabby my former presence was), and make more mistakes in typing Blackberry texts than any living writer, I am coming around to the way the world works.

I have an iPad 2 and I use it to read the New York Times (except the Times magazine, which I still prefer to hold), to catch up with the Inquirer, to read the occasional Kindle or iBook.  (The New Yorker and Food and Wine and Vanity Fair still come, old style, to my house.)  My email friends are legion.  I'm an old-time blogger (holding my ground here, refusing to vanish).  And lately I've been thinking about (not dreading, but embracing) the new ways in which the publishing industry works.  Why not an Amazon single, for example, if the audience is already primed for it?  And why not a book with multi-media illustrations—something web friendly, something e-alive?

It's the middle of August.  The days have been long.  I prefer autumn to summer.  I look toward the new season with hope for my October 25 release, You Are My Only, with eagerness to connect with some of you at a variety of talks, and with the high suspicion that I'm about to change the way I go about making of (some) books.  

3 comments:

Caroline Starr Rose said...

You've got me curious, Beth! I'm still foot-loose and Twitter-free.

Q said...

I think a multimedia book would be really incredible. There are already some books that tell you to go to websites for crucial plot points explained through videos, and give you passwords to take you to the right one for where you are in the story. I tried to read one, but it was a ghost story and I don't like being scared!

Anonymous said...

There's a lot of potential in multimedia--that hasn't even begun to be explored.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP