The You Are My Only Treasure Hunt Part III

Monday, October 10, 2011

Readers of this blog know that a You Are My Only Treasure Hunt has been put into play.  This week, I'll be wrapping that up.

A reprise: 

I've written five guest posts about the making of this book.  Those posts are appearing in the blogosphere.  Your job (should you choose to accept it) is to find those five entries and then post them collectively on your own blog.  Send the link to me, in a comment box on my blog, and your name will be entered into a drawing. 

Two winners will be selected. Each will win these two things: A signed copy of You Are My Only AND a critique (by yours truly) of the first 2,000 words of a work-in-progress. As many of you know, I teach memoir at the University of Pennsylvania and served as the inaugural readergirlz author in residence. I have written in multiple genres and critique adult fiction for major U.S. newspapers. Your manuscript can, I am hinting, be in any genre, save for a screenplay, about which I have absolutely zero expertise.

Today the third post has gone up.  This post, titled "When Emmy called I listened," tells the story of my discovery of Emmy Rane.  Why she is.  Where (in part) her story came from.  It is posted on a site that is beloved by so many of you, a place where the color turquoise lives, a blog developed and managed by a young woman who is an orthodontic assistant by day.  The post begins with these words:

You Are My Only is a book told in two voices—that of a young teen named Sophie and that of a young mother whose name is Emmy Rane. Emmy Rane’s voice has been with me for a very long time. She was inspired, in part, by a moment, long ago, when I noticed a small child left untended by his mother. I have one of those apocalyptic imaginations (for better or worse, and most times, in real life, that would be worse—just ask my son), and instantly I was imagining things. The sudden stirring of a storm. The evil intentions of a neighbor. A big fat wasp with a ready sting. Somebody, I thought, please rescue that boy!


Please note that I have decided to make the Hunt even easier for those who choose to play.  But I'll give you those details by week's end.

2 comments:

Serena said...

I think I've found all the ones that have posted...so far.

Serena said...

did I mention this is fun!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP